• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

xjbebop

SBMM Valentine gut shots

:eek:

Dug out my bag-o-pots and other spare parts the other day and found a few goodies I need for upcoming projects, including a right-sized p/p pot for the Valentine.
But when I opened her up for surgery and got a better look at the tone pot, I was surprised to see how busy it is.
Along with the usual tone cap, there is also a wire from the boost circuit attached and tied into another cap & resistor!
Since I didn't have the correct match for those, and assuming that they just might be important for the gain boost circuit, I decided to hold off the mod... for now...:cool:
I'll collect up the right parts for later, but the reality is that this guitar is pretty much perfect as is. After I had some time with her I found that, on a clean amp setting in particular, on the neck pup, when rolling the volume from 10 to 8-ish, instead of turning the sound to dark mud, it just drops into a very smooth, sweet & sparkly voice. (that's a lot of commas!)
Just my opinion, but I'm thinking that adding a split feature might just be redundant, so now I'm in no hurry.
Of course, I might get bored and change my mind later...;)

OK, on with the pics...
Internals look very typical for an import... I've seen quite a few...
Some sheeple get tweaked about it and scream "OMG...I've got to upgrade all the electronics to bigger & better!!!"
....no, you really don't, unless something actually fails....

32994443576_baa45b0a8a_o.jpg

The gain boost circuit is mounted to the top (bottom?) of the volume pot...interesting....

32909643281_54e21d4830_o.jpg

Here's the busy little tone pot!!

32994443286_5310ec8746_o.jpg

32654017900_9dec3b5bf0_o.jpg

Don't know if this will help anyone, but there it is.
If I spent more time practicing rather than working on these things, I'd be a much better player :p
But, it's what I do and I enjoy it.

BTW - LOVE THIS GUITAR!!! :D

TheoDog

I thought the Sterling featured the boost, not the coil tap.
Anyone compared it to the EBMM Valentine?

TheoDog

Yes, it does indeed only have the 12dB fixed output boost on the Volume VR. It does not have the coil tap.

Did not realize it was a fixed boost.
I have been hunting for an aftermarket on board boost to add to a PRS that works similar to the EBMM Vaentines because it is awesome.

LewisW

The colours seem to vary a bit on these from pictures ive seen across the net, RJKaneo's looks a lot closer to the orignal, but they seem more yellow-ish on yours xjebebop?

Anyone have any reference of how close this is the the MM Valentine buttermilk?

xjbebop

It's slightly off white. The 3rd & 4th pics of my original post (indoors) are pretty accurate. The yellowish cast in the first 2 pics (outdoors) and the later gut shots are just bad color correction. It's gorgeous in person.
I've not seen a MM model in person yet, but there are plenty of youtubes & great pics of these on the web.

btw- I'm well past the honeymoon phase with this guitar, and I'm -really- diggin' it! Fresh strings & a wee bit of personal preference set up out of the box, and it's solid! The 'wedge' body shape is way more comfortable than I expected as well.

SBMM

Here's some shots of a rack of JV60 Valentines.

There really isn't much variation to the finishes. It's the wood grain variation that changes the finish the most.

Enjoy the shots!

FullSizeRender_2.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2441.jpg
    IMG_2441.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 221

RichieZ

I have the EBMM and the finish does not always photograph well. Depending on the amount, type and angle of light, the woodgrain really shows thru, or it looks like just a peachy-off-white painted guitar. I have taken several pics of mine and deleted many... as I have a really difficult time getting it to look like it does in person.

I can attest, as xhbebop has, that it is, however, very nice in person. It's a very transparent off-white, and the wood grain shows thru beautifully. The contrast wth the darker neck really comes off well... in my opinion, of course.

PeteDuBaldo

It's slightly off white. The 3rd & 4th pics of my original post (indoors) are pretty accurate. The yellowish cast in the first 2 pics (outdoors) and the later gut shots are just bad color correction. It's gorgeous in person.
I've not seen a MM model in person yet, but there are plenty of youtubes & great pics of these on the web.

btw- I'm well past the honeymoon phase with this guitar, and I'm -really- diggin' it! Fresh strings & a wee bit of personal preference set up out of the box, and it's solid! The 'wedge' body shape is way more comfortable than I expected as well.

Awesome!

Top Bottom