• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ttimms

Just wanted post this as warning for people with a nickel allergy who are using or thinking of using the Ernie Ball stainless steel slinky's. I've read online and on this forum that the Ernie Ball stainless steel slinkys are suitable for someone with a nickel allergy and are 100% nickel free. They are not.

I have a nickel allergy and have used a set for a few weeks thinking they would be fine however my fingers started itching and blisters began forming on my fingertips. I decided to test the strings using a nickel spot test kit and the top strings came back positive for nickel! The bottom strings didn't.

So unfortunately my search continues looking for suitable strings..

Thanks

tbonesullivan

Do you mean the plain strings, or the wound strings? I'm assuming the wound strings. A quick google search shows that many stainless steel alloys use nickel to help stabilize the crystal structure.

ttimms

Do you mean the plain strings, or the wound strings? I'm assuming the wound strings. A quick google search shows that many stainless steel alloys use nickel to help stabilize the crystal structure.
This isn't well known. I've seen people with nickel allergies on YouTube and other forums wondering why they have blisters on their fingers after using slinkys.

Examples:

And this website is the first thing that comes up when searching for nickel free guitar strings and you'll see stainless steel slinkys listed as being safe:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Just wanted post this as warning for people with a nickel allergy who are using or thinking of using the Ernie Ball stainless steel slinky's. I've read online and on this forum that the Ernie Ball stainless steel slinkys are suitable for someone with a nickel allergy and are 100% nickel free. They are not.

I have a nickel allergy and have used a set for a few weeks thinking they would be fine however my fingers started itching and blisters began forming on my fingertips. I decided to test the strings using a nickel spot test kit and the top strings came back positive for nickel! The bottom strings didn't.

So unfortunately my search continues looking for suitable strings..

Thanks
Hi ttimes, welcome to the forum.

I recommend you reach out to Ernie Ball customer service. They have said here explicitly on the forum in the past that Stainless steel (and Cobalt slinkys) are 100% nickel free. For reference, here are the specific posts...

I'll reach out on my end for confirmation for the forum archives that nothing has changed.

Best wishes,

K

Last edited:

ttimms

Hi ttimes, welcome to the forum.

I recommend you reach out to Ernie Ball customer service. They have said here explicitly on the forum in the past that Stainless steel (and Cobalt slinkys) are 100% nickel free. For reference, here are the specific posts...

I'll reach out on my end for confirmation for the forum archives that nothing has changed.

Best wishes,

K
Hi, they can't be 100% nickel free when the G string tested positive for nickel showing a pink reading. The low E did not test positive.

ttimms

That’s why you need to contact customer service. What frets are on your guitar by the way?
I've contacted them. They recommended trying the M-Steels and Cobalts. I have stainless steel frets on my guitar.

Top Bottom