• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

RocketMusic

I may have missed this but are there still the Classic Stingrays available? And if so, will they remain their specs?

Yep, those are still in production, and here are the colors available for 2018. I'm assuming the specs stayed the same, though I do have a note into EBMM to confirm that.

StingRay Classic - Black - Figured Maple - Black Pickguard
StingRay Classic - Black - Figured Rosewood - Black Pickguard
StingRay Classic - Vintage Sunburst - Figured Maple - Black Pickguard
StingRay Classic - Vintage Sunburst - Figured Rosewood - Black Pickguard
StingRay Classic - Classic Natural - Figured Maple - Black Pickguard
StingRay Classic - Classic Natural - Figured Rosewood - Black Pickguard

StingRay5 Classic - Black - Figured Maple - Black Pickguard
StingRay5 Classic - Black - Figured Rosewood - Black Pickguard
StingRay5 Classic - Vintage Sunburst - Figured Maple - Black Pickguard
StingRay5 Classic - Vintage Sunburst - Figured Rosewood - Black Pickguard
StingRay5 Classic - Classic Natural - Figured Maple - Black Pickguard
StingRay5 Classic - Classic Natural - Figured Rosewood - Black Pickguard

RocketMusic

And that is confirmed. No spec changes to the following bass models for 2018:

Stingray 4/5 Classic Basses
Stingray Old Smoothie
Stingray 4/5 Neck Through
Modern Classic Basses

koogie2k

Pete and I are a talkin'! SR4 burnt apple is what I am after. Time to retire Warhammer and now is the best time since I always wanted that color.

firecrasher

What finish is on the back of the roasted maple necks? Is it more like the Classics (at least the last time I played one) - no more gunstock oil?

vates

A question about maple/maple necks: is it a one-piece neck or the fingerboard is a separate piece of maple? thanks

RocketMusic

A question about maple/maple necks: is it a one-piece neck or the fingerboard is a separate piece of maple? thanks

I was about to confidently state that there's no skunk stripe on the back, so it must be a separate fingerboard... but then I figured I'd better go look at one of the Stingrays I have in stock.

Man, it took me a minute to find the seam, they do a REALLY nice job of keeping the grain aligned. At first glance, I would've said without a doubt that there was not a separate fingerboard... but there is. They must saw the fingerboard from the neck block, then mill and install the truss rod, and then glue the fingerboard back on. And they must do all of that very carefully. :)

Edmang

And that is confirmed. No spec changes to the following bass models for 2018:

Stingray 4/5 Classic Basses
Stingray Old Smoothie
Stingray 4/5 Neck Through
Modern Classic Basses

hmmm no mention of Bongos or Sterlings... should we be worried?

Joeglow

Are the neck finishes on the new 2018 Classics still going to have that heavy thick clear coat finish? It seems such a shame to use that finish over the oil finish that the regular Stingrays have. I have the 2017 Stingray with an oil finished neck and a natural 2017 Classic which has a gorgeous birdseye maple neck that is coated in this thick plastic like gloss and I totally prefer the oil finish. Its much smoother and faster. I'm thinking of sanding it down bare and just Tru oil finish it. Any ideas why EBMM went to using these finishes vs the oil finish? Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

bovinehost

Administrator
The oil and wax versus poly neck finish is a long-running debate amongst internet bassists. There are two definite camps. I suppose the Classics and Old Smoothies use the finished necks because that's how they were way back in the 70s when pterodactyls blackened the skies over SLO.

Jim Dandy

I've been looking at the colors again and am starting to really like the Charcoal Sparkle finish on the SR4. Can someone tell me if the hardware will be black, or can it be ordered with the chrome hardware?

Thanks again!

PeteDuBaldo

Are the neck finishes on the new 2018 Classics still going to have that heavy thick clear coat finish? It seems such a shame to use that finish over the oil finish that the regular Stingrays have. I have the 2017 Stingray with an oil finished neck and a natural 2017 Classic which has a gorgeous birdseye maple neck that is coated in this thick plastic like gloss and I totally prefer the oil finish. Its much smoother and faster. I'm thinking of sanding it down bare and just Tru oil finish it. Any ideas why EBMM went to using these finishes vs the oil finish? Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

The Classic Series retain the clear gloss finish while the revamped SR4/5 have oil/wax treatment on the roasted neck. You could probably lightly scuff the gloss neck with a 3M green pad to get a closer to raw wood finish without having to fully strip it down.

PeteDuBaldo

hmmm no mention of Bongos or Sterlings... should we be worried?

The Sterling has a lot of options available for both 4 and 5 string models including H, HH, HS, fretless (lined or unlined), as well as lefty 4H models

The Bongo is still available in 4H, 4HH, 4HS, 5HH, 5HS, and 6HH, 6HS versions, also in lined/unlined fretless

Top Bottom