• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jlf599

The pickup rings are pretty great actually. I just swapped out the pickups in my 25th.
You ditched the DiMarzios? What did you replace them with?

I've found the EVH/Axis/25th/AL humbuckers are my favorite humbuckers pretty much ever.

beej

I swapped them for the Transition set which I really like.

I just find the EVH Dimarzios too bass heavy. The Transitions are a little more balanced and seem to work better for me.

GoKart Mozart

I just find the EVH Dimarzios too bass heavy. The Transitions are a little more balanced and seem to work better for me.

Interesting you mention that, because here lately I've been thinking that those pickups sound pretty dark in my AL HH.
A guy on the Albert Lee Guitar Owners & Fans FB group posted a vid this week where he replaced the ones in his AL HH with a DiMarzio AT-1 and Air Nortion with good results (he also modified the switching to include some parallel sounds, so there's that as well); what's interesting is that those 2 pickups are supposed to be the closest production equivalents to the EVH Dimarzios that he took out of the guitar initially. Maybe the metal cover darkens the tone some?

beej

Well ... I've found the AT-1 to be pretty close to the EVH bridge pickup, so I don't know about that. The covers can reduce highs a little (the ones Dimarzio uses aren't too bad), but that wouldn't change the overall sound of them.

tbonesullivan

I will say that the Transitions are great pickups, especially the bridge pickup. I've been thinking about putting a set on my Stingray RS.

beej

Yeah they are fantastic. I have them in a few guitars, including my Morse. The bridge smokes. The neck is great too, though I find it doesn't work in every guitar.

Top Bottom