• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

handofdoom

Just got this guitar, and I have to say it’s a great piece of instrument in this price range. Amazing value!

Having previously owned Gibson, Fender, Epiphone, Squier, Peavey and Reverend guitars, this is my first foray into Sterling.

I have to admit, the reason I bought it, was because I just thought it looked crazy cool and retro futuristic (Daphne blue).

Just about the same colour scheme as the Sonic Blue Mustang Kurt Cobain played on the In Utero tour.

Besides the look, it plays great. The neck profile is just about right for me, but could be slightly chunkier. Frets are above expectations for the price. The whole thing just feels substantial, even if the weight is fairly low.

The vibrato seemed to work fine, although I managed to destroy the arm by twiddling with it too much. Not too saddened by this, as I didn’t plan to use the arm anyway.

But if I wanted too replace/upgrade the tremolo, what do I have to choose from that wouldn’t require major adjustments?

As others have written here, upgrades of the tuners and the nut is due - as I would have expected given the pricing. I’m guessing I will go for Hipshot tuners, as I really rate their products.

My only real gripe is the buckers. I think they are overly shrill and anemic. I need something slightly warmer and more full bodied, probably with a bit more output.

Any suggestions besides the Dimarzio’s used in the equivalent Music Man model?

I do have an affection for Bare Knuckle pickups, but don’t necessarily need to go down the boutique route.

GWDavis28

Always reminds me of the Jetson's!!!

You know it doesn't exist without pictures right?

Hahahahahaha, no I'm serious. Glenn |B)

Top Bottom