• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bob atherton

Hi

Some weird stuff going on with my Sterling wiring and need a diagram so my tech can fix it.

I've searched here but cant find a wiring diagram for the bass.

Any pointers to this would be massively appreciated, thanks.

Bob

bob atherton

file:///C:/Users/bob/Desktop/IMG_0971.JPG

if this works this should be a photo of my bass wiring. It's not quite like the diagram..? But close....

OK, that photo didn't upload.....

BrusselsBass

Hi

I bought a '94 Sterling from France - the beauty arrived today.

Some concerns though: sound is normal when the selector switch is on bridge and middle position.
When I switch to neck position, the sound gets very muddy (the opposite of serial tone); treble is gone.

Could this be a matter of a spoiled switch, or lose cable / soldering points?

Or could it be the pickup?

I don't have a potentiometer to measure.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Position 1, bridge position, is parallel wiring (the classic Music Man bass sound). Middle position (2) is single coil mode (with a phantom coil for noise cancelling). Position 3, neck position is series mode, which should be louder and have less treble and more mids than the bridge position.

1712336593443.png

BrusselsBass

Thanks Kev, this I know (had an SR5H before, still have a SR5 HS 20th)

I tapped the 2 magnet rows in all 3 position and they all give a response. Bridge/middle more (inside/outside coils different loud), neck less loud, more humbucki.

Rod Trussbroken

Hi

I bought a '94 Sterling from France - the beauty arrived today.

Some concerns though: sound is normal when the selector switch is on bridge and middle position.
When I switch to neck position, the sound gets very muddy (the opposite of serial tone); treble is gone.

Could this be a matter of a spoiled switch, or lose cable / soldering points?

Or could it be the pickup?

I don't have a potentiometer to measure.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

My suggestion would be to contact Customer Service (below) and discuss the issue with them. Even though you are outside warranty, they will offer advice. They can also provide a wiring diagram which could assist your local guitar technician if needed. Don't forget to include the instrument's serial number.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

raygunriot

Do you have a multimeter? You can measure the resistance of each coils.
Do you think your is is all original? What year is yours?
View attachment 32152
Bert. Your picture here is of a later model Sterling preamp. I recently sent back my '95 preamp board for a new one. This is exactly what they sent me, but where does the pickup solder in? This one is different than the older ones and they didn't send me a schematic.

Rod Trussbroken

Bert. Your picture here is of a later model Sterling preamp. I recently sent back my '95 preamp board for a new one. This is exactly what they sent me, but where does the pickup solder in? This one is different than the older ones and they didn't send me a schematic.
Contact EBMM again for the schematic of the preamp that was sent to you.

Additionally, I think your older preamp could have had more wiring connecting it to your pickup than the newer preamp??? They may have a schematic for connecting it to your pickup and/or any modifications needed.

raygunriot

Thanks. I intended on contacting customer support on Monday. I just received the preamp late Friday and wanted to get it hooked up this weekend, but I will get a hold of them tomorrow.

nebadon

Additionally, I think your older preamp could have had more wiring connecting it to your pickup than the newer preamp??? They may have a schematic for connecting it to your pickup and/or any modifications needed.
Seems inexcusable knowing they are/may be different not sending schematic with preamp purchased; also no one here could have helped so he could get it done?

I understand many rave about Customer Service/service dept. and are fine with must return defective parts to be able to purchase new ones with general 'paranoid' policies and most problems even with New under warranty need shipped to Ca. based on little or no Factory approved [EB will pay for] Service shops

I pray daily that I never need CS or Service for my Stingray Special especially being on East Coast :) It is a great Bass so it is worth the risk

raygunriot

Seems inexcusable knowing they are/may be different not sending schematic with preamp purchased; also no one here could have helped so he could get it done?

I understand many rave about Customer Service/service dept. and are fine with must return defective parts to be able to purchase new ones with general 'paranoid' policies and most problems even with New under warranty need shipped to Ca. based on little or no Factory approved [EB will pay for] Service shops

I pray daily that I never need CS or Service for my Stingray Special especially being on East Coast :) It is a great Bass so it is worth the risk
Yeah, it sucks but they’ve always been friendly and helpful. I finally got the schematic so hopefully I’ll get the thing back together today. I grew up playing Fender bases and these MusicMan instruments are really everything that Fender wasn’t (and then some). That’s all I play now. I have 2 mid 90s Sterlings, 1 Stingray-5 and a Sterling Stingray as a back up.

mynan

Posted on Friday, resolved by Tuesday. Yeah, that really sucks.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom