• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

staticfuzz

This can be deleted ...I think I have discovered the problem. The solder on the earth/negative terminal on the battery compartment has completely oxidized and fallen off, so the black wire is no longer connected. I think its an earthing issue, sorry for wasting your time.

Hi,
I have a Music Man StingRay Bass that I bought about six years ago. It has started making a screeching noise after about 10 - 15 minutes of being plugged in. I have no control over the noise, it doesn't matter what you play the noise is constant. At first the bass plays just fine, then it starts to happen after about 10 minutes or so, and when it starts making the noise it only takes a few seconds until its unplayable. After this has happened once if I turn the amp off and plug it back in and turn back on, the noise starts as soon as I hit a string.

This happens when connected to my bass amp. It also happens when connected to my Two Notes Torpedo Cab simulator. I have other basses with active pickups and there's no problem with my amp or the Torpedo. The Stingray also used to be fine on my amp and cab simulator.

So it feels very much like its a problem with the Stingray. Any suggestions on what it could be? An earthing issue? Moisture or corrosion in the electronics? I have kept it in its case in a room which doesn't get that much moisture, but back in July/August I did store it in a facility for a month while I was away. I haven't played it much since then as I've been busy with work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Glad you were able to resolve it! Sometimes batteries can leak just a bit, and this can travel to the contacts and cause oxidation.

danny-79

I’ve removed the plastic battery compartments off all my SRs. Soldered on a battery snap and got some plates of the Classic StingRay to cover with.
Them battery boxes are a big bugbear of mine. They are a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. But glad you got it sorted.

(I’m currently working on getting some plates/covers made to remove the double boxes on the Bongos)

bassra74

I had a similar problem with my Music Man Sterling bass.
It sounded like a dolphin in pain, on vol.12!

Changed battery, opened the preampcover…searched everywhere, till i, bu chance, found out it was the plastic-box battery compartment that was broken.
I ripped the whole thing off and changed to a simple battery-clip.
Sings like a bird now 😁

Al Belt

Same problem with a 98 SR4, altough never had a single issue with 3 sterlings in the past (1 of them fairly beaten). Altough it looks like a nice solution, i tend to agree with danny as it looks like the solution to a nonexisting problem. A simple popup cover and a battery snap et voilá!

Now another question. I managed to remove the tiny copper plate and clean it, put it back and soldered it again with minimal plastic melting. How has been durability with your re soldered ones?

Top Bottom