• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Manny_Silvers

Random follow up on this a few months later. Took it to a luthier who unfortunately told me the neck has developed a slight twist to it which probably explains a lot of my issues. He did some fret work to try to compensate for it which seemed to help a little bit. Anyways, still unclear if the bass did in fact originally have a shim in there but I'm keeping the brown shim in for now. Not sure how much of the twisted neck is my fault for not taking good enough care of the instrument when I was younger or if it's just one of those things that happens sometimes that was out of my control. A bummer for sure but the bass is by no means unplayable, just hard to get the feel as nice as you'd expect an EBMM Stingray to be without a lot of buzz. I guess if I really get a serious Stingray itch again I'll have to get one of these fancy new ones :)

Michael Murphy

That's possible. My 4 string sting ray did not have a shim when I had the neck off. 5 string came stock with a Brown Shim. I have not had the neck off my other 5 string stingray.

I swapped necks on my first two 5s (a '93 unlined fretless, and a '90 lined fretless), and neither had a shim that i recall. The pockets were both nice and snug, and neither even needed any adjustment after the swap.

Top Bottom