• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Big D

I'm not that smart when it comes to working out things like string tensions, so I was hoping someone may be able to help me out. I've tried looking at the string tension calcuators that are around on the internet, but none of them seem to be able to work it out.

I am in a band which playes in Drop D down 3 semitones ( B2 F3# B3 E4 G#4 C#5), which is fine for most of my other guitar as it has a fixed bridge. However, I would like to tune my RR Jackson V to that tuning, but it has a Schaller Floyd Rose style double-locking bridge and nut.

I was wondering what guage strings I would need to keep the tension and feel the same, and keep the bridge balanced. I understand that it may need some adjustment, but the closer I can keep it to how it is now the better. It currently is fitted with a set of .009 - .042 guage Slinkys.

If it's any help, on my fixed bridge guitar I'm using .011 .016 .024 .032 .042 .056 strings

Thanks for your help

Greg

Ernie Ball Customer Service
The gauges you are using on the fixed bridge will work. You will have to adjust the intonation and the spring tension of your guitar.

Thanks,
Greg

StoutXXX

I had to solve the same problem and heres is what i did after talking to some friends that worked on guitars and everything went fine.
-I have a neck thru warlock with 9's on it. i bumped it to the really heavy gauge low E(would be equivilant to a 12gauge set.) and the rest tapered to about an 11 high E> i forgot what ernie ball called them but it was a good idea. I restrung the guitar and the bridge was to high of course. get a tuner and a screw driver and slowly adjust the rear screw springs until you have reached an equilibrium with bridge height and string tension while in tune. Fine tune and adjust next day to and you should be golden.

Top Bottom