• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mirkin

I had a very frustrating intonation issue with my String Ray which seems to be shared with other Stingray owners reported on this and other forums. The outcome is bitter sweet.

TLDR My bass is now intoned perfectly* ... but I can't use the strings I want. I believe the Stingray's compensated nut is a negative, not a positive.

(*- update from 10th Dec 2023. The issue seems present again even with the factory standard strings)

I learned a lot about intonation in the process of finding the solution, which I will share below.

In summary:
  • I installed a new set of 45-105 La Bella Deep Talkin' flatwound strings
  • Re setup the guitar (neck relief, action and bridge saddle intonation ie open note and fretted twelfth, witness points)
  • To my dismay, the lower frets (1-7) were all significantly (7 cents on fret 3) flat on the E string.
  • I posted on this forum for help: Stingray bass intonation issue with compensated nut
  • I received many replies, many were well meaning but red herring questions about whether I done the basics ie was my tuner accurate, had I set 'the witness points', neck relief etc. Of course I had ..
I then started to research intonation specifically about nut compensation (which my bass has).

I got sucked into a fascinating world ...

My summary of my new knowledge on intonation:
  • If you never had to bend a string to fret it, then all the saddles would more or less be in a straight line on the bridge
  • The scale length and fret spacings would just be about 'scale' maths.
  • But you DO have to bend the strings down to fret the notes. Bending increases the tension in the string and therefore the pitch goes sharper than the fret spacings / scale length should determine
  • Hence the different position of the saddles on the bridge after intonation. So this is why we have adjustable saddles.
  • They allow the vibrating length of the string to be increased therefore to flatten the pitch to compensate for this sharpening (or the other way round).
  • Wound thick strings go stiffer/sharper per mm compared with with non wound strings. So each string (meaning the E,A,D,G,B,E) stiffness reacts differently when being pressed down to the fret.
Also there something called the 'clothes' peg effect'. Imagine you have a taught washing line. It's easier to push down the in the middle compared with 1 inch from the end.
In other words one inch pressed down near the end creates significantly more stiffness than press the line one inch in the middle.

Translated to the guitar this means pressing down the string near the nut at the first fret raises the pitch sharper compared with the same at the twelfth fret.

The 'normal' way of alleviating this effect is to make sure that the nut slots are cut so that the string height above the first fret is low as possible.
This means the distance and hence increased stiffness/sharpness is dramatically reduced. Most skilled guitar techs can do this.

But wait, the Stringray has this 'compensated nut' which is not adjustable in ANY way.

So what's the deal about compensated nuts?

So the idea of a compensated nut is that you set the saddle positions at the bridge to the FRETTED notes NEVER the open string.
E.g you compare the 2nd with the 14th or whatever.

After you have adjusted the saddle positions for the best compromise you then adjust the NUT to handle JUST the open strings.
Clearly there is no such thing of an adjustable nut where each string has a nut saddle.
You have to have a luthier make one which involves loads of trial an error and money no doubt!

As an experiment I took my Stingray and set the bridge saddle positions based on the tuned note on the 3rd and 12th.

BINGO all my intonation problems went away. All the fretted notes were bang on.
BUT damn, now the open strings (E & A) were 6 cent sharp.

Obviously this was a much better position compared with where I had started from. Better to have all the frets in tune and to suck up the open E and A being sharp?
I could find a luthier to cut me a custom made compensated nut with the grooves cut so that the E A length to bridge was longer .. making it flatter / lose the 6 cents sharp.
This would make the Stingray perfect. But I don't want to do that. The bass is super high end. Why should I?
My much cheaper Yamaha bass does NOT suffer this problem.

Out of desperation I removed my expensive great sounding La Bellas and installed a new set of the 'factory standard' Ernie Ball super slinky 40-100.

I re-setup the guitar.

All the intonation is perfect everywhere. Great ... but infuriating as I want to use regular gauge flatwounds.
[update 10/12/2023 - the intonation seems out again on the open strings]

After further research I have concluded:

• Compensated nuts work great but they are optimised for a particular string gauge / type
  • Regular nuts with correctly cut slots (ie deep enough to fix the sharp problem but not so deep as to create buzz) work as well and seem to work better for different gauges

I am very happy to now have a bass that plays in tune but very disappointed that I can never use the strings I want to use.

Superb if nerdy resources on this topic:

Last edited:

Datasmog

Interesting read thank you and I’m pleased you have more or less solved the problem I initially shared. And I am also a fan of LaBella flats. However my problem went away after a couple of days leaving the bass to settle after setting up. But I’m currently using TI Jazz flats of a lighter gauge than the standard LaBellas. The bass plays fine and intonation is perfect. Seems we have both solved our problem but I will remember this if I ever switch back to LaBellas.

mynan

TLDR My bass is now intoned perfectly ... but I can't use the strings I want. I believe the Stingray's compensated nut is a negative, not a positive.

Out of desperation I removed my expensive great sounding La Bellas and installed a new set of the 'factory standard' Ernie Ball super slinky 40-100.

I re-setup the guitar.

All the intonation is perfect everywhere. Great ... but infuriating as I want to use regular gauge flatwounds.

After further research I have concluded:
  • Compensated nuts work great but they are optimised for a particular string gauge / type
  • Regular nuts with correctly cut slots (ie deep enough to fix the sharp problem but not so deep as to create buzz) work as well and seem to work better for different gauges
I am very happy to now have a bass that plays in tune but very disappointed that I can never use the strings I want to use.
To say that the compensated nut is a negative because of issues with a string type that most players aren't going to use might be a little lacking in perspective. These are production instruments and as you have stated, the compensated nut works perfectly with "factory standard" round-wounds, which is what most players are using...if not Slinky's then some other brand with similar specs. Yes, they could have solved the common "first few frets sharp" issue with a nut that is cut deeper, but then there would probably be tons of people complaining about fret buzz and setup issues.

I can understand your disappointment with not being able to use a particular set of strings, but IMO the compensated nut solves more issues than it creates.

Last edited:

Datasmog

To say that the compensated nut is a negative because of issues with a string type that most players aren't going to use might be a little lacking in perspective. These are production instruments and as you have stated, the compensated nut works perfectly with "factory standard" round-wounds, which is what most players are using...if not Slinky's then some other brand with similar specs. Yes, they could have solved the common "first few frets sharp" issue with a nut that is cut deeper, but then there would probably be tons of people complaining about fret buzz and setup issues.

I can understand your disappointment with not being able to use a particular set of strings, but IMO the compensated nut solves more issues than it creates.
A guitar maker cannot dictate what string type a player will use. And saying ”a string type that most players aren’t going to use” is silly. LaBella flats are one of the most popular strings in the standard gauge, and the vast majority of basses made in the last 80 odd years are perfectly playable with them, including Stingrays up until the compensated nut was introduced.

tbonesullivan

A guitar maker cannot dictate what string type a player will use. And saying ”a string type that most players aren’t going to use” is silly. LaBella flats are one of the most popular strings in the standard gauge, and the vast majority of basses made in the last 80 odd years are perfectly playable with them, including Stingrays up until the compensated nut was introduced.
Well you and mirkin make a nice tag team, both registered on the same day and both complaining about similar issues, and for some reason lots of other people don't seem to have. And both of your posts are almost entirely in the same two threads. And of course for some reason mirkin felt the need to make an entirely NEW thread to complain about these issues.

Very curious and coincidental.

mynan

I don't think anyone is dictating what type of strings get used. You said that your intonation is "perfect" with the compensated nut and standard strings. So if the compensated nut actually affects intonation, which you are saying that it does, then the intonation would not be perfect without it...right? If that is the case and if most players are using round wound strings, then the compensated nut is an improvement for most players.

Again, these are not boutique instruments. They are production instruments and are going to be designed for what is best for most players.

And, btw, what is stopping you from replacing the nut? I know it's hard to put a compensated nut on the older basses because there's not enough room on the shelf, but it doesn't seem like it would be difficult to put a standard nut on a newer bass.

Last edited:

five7

I cut the slots deeper on my sterling 5 when I installed a new compensated nut. Someone had put a regular nut on it before I had it and intonation was off. But I use roundwouds.

mirkin

I am going mad. After thinking everything has returned to normal the problem has resurfaced. It makes me feel that I was dreaming that it had been fixed. If I tune the bass to the fretted notes, say the 3rd fret, the open strings are 5 cents flat. This is for the E string. The G is more or less OK. I'm still using the factory standard Ernie Ball round wounds.

mirkin

Well you and mirkin make a nice tag team, both registered on the same day and both complaining about similar issues, and for some reason lots of other people don't seem to have. And both of your posts are almost entirely in the same two threads. And of course for some reason mirkin felt the need to make an entirely NEW thread to complain about these issues.

Very curious and coincidental.
Perhaps we are secret agents working for Fender. 😃. But seriously this is a real issue. Don't dismiss us. My Yamaha mid market bass intonates perfectly as can be with every brand of string I've used. This premium instrument should do the same.

Golem

This is all Leo Fenders fault. Basses had no intonation problems WITHOUT frets ... and they still do not. MM now frets ALL their basses, so I cant buy the new ones unless I would pay a competent craftsman to remove the offending uglee little strips of metal.

Back before I discovered the Ultimate Intonation Solution, which is no longer a MM factory option, I deployed the Semi-Ultimate Solution. Just dont play open strings. Its really no big deal. Just tune down one semitone. If necessary use slightly heavier strings. Or tune normally and acept the idea that you dont really need the normal open string notes anyway, especially on a 5-string, but not a problem on 4-string either. You really only lose one note anywho. The other open string note are still available elsewhere on the neck.

BTW, I alwsys file the nut slots almost down to the wood. If youre unwiling to do that you got no bidnez bidchen about all that other stuff.

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Perhaps we are secret agents working for Fender. 😃. But seriously this is a real issue. Don't dismiss us. My Yamaha mid market bass intonates perfectly as can be with every brand of string I've used. This premium instrument should do the same.
Yeah but no. If Music Man basses couldn't intonate properly don't you think that since 1976 people would have noticed and the reputation of teh basses would have been trashed long ago? And Music Man have arguably the best guitar manufacturing engineers on the planet. Even I was to ignore my own experience as a tech and that of countless thousands of top bass players across many decades, I can't believe a fundamental problem with the instruments would go unnoticed by the design engineers.

Why your bass won't intonate right I unfortunately cannot guess without seeing it in front of me (sadly, but in my experience other it's almost always a problem with the string or their installation) but remember that the strings don't care what bass they are on, they see a saddle and nut and frets and that's it. From that point of view, a Music Man bass is no different than a Fender or Yamaha or Sandberg or Spector or Fodera as far as the strings are concerned. Same scale length, same fret positions, same adjustability at the bridge. And the compensated nut won't make open strings flatter than a regular nut because the break point is forward of the traditional position, closer to the 1st fret, slightly sharpening the open strings relative to the fretted notes. All the more reason to think that seriously flat open strings are not an instrument issue but a string issue.

mirkin

This is all Leo Fenders fault. Basses had no intonation problems WITHOUT frets ... and they still do not. MM now frets ALL their basses, so I cant buy the new ones unless I would pay a competent craftsman to remove the offending uglee little strips of metal.

Back before I discovered the Ultimate Intonation Solution, which is no longer a MM factory option, I deployed the Semi-Ultimate Solution. Just dont play open strings. Its really no big deal. Just tune down one semitone. If necessary use slightly heavier strings. Or tune normally and acept the idea that you dont really need the normal open string notes anyway, especially on a 5-string, but not a problem on 4-string either. You really only lose one note anywho. The other open string note are still available elsewhere on the neck.

BTW, I alwsys file the nut slots almost down to the wood. If youre unwiling to do that you got no bidnez bidchen about all that other stuff.
I certainly agree that it's better have all the frets in tune and the open strings out compared with the reverse. And yes it is possible to avoid the open strings but why should I on such a premium instrument? This problem does not affect my Yamaha in any way. I think the concept of a factory standard compensated nut is broken ... these sorts of nuts only work their magic when setup for a particular nut height and string gauge. Using a regular nut with the nut slot cut down is a much better solution. BTW ... I have alleviated my problem by sticking to the factory standard strings and increasing the action height so the the compensation correctly cancels out the increased string tension at lower frets. So my bass is now intonated accurately but I cannot use my La Bella Deep Talking flats.

mynan

It's a nut...a piece of plastic that luthiers have been replacing for decades. I understand that there are shelf-space issues going from a standard nut to a compensated nut, but what is stopping you from replacing the compensated nut with a standard nut on your bass?

mirkin

It's a nut...a piece of plastic that luthiers have been replacing for decades. I understand that there are shelf-space issues going from a standard nut to a compensated nut, but what is stopping you from replacing the compensated nut with a standard nut on your bass?
Nothing. That said, It wouldn't be as straight forward as replacing a non compensated ... it would mean sourcing a super wide nut blank and making a 'step' to make the correct scale length. It's a load of hassle just so that I can use my La Bella flats.

Top Bottom