• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mirkin

Hello there. I wonder if anyone can advise me? I have a 4 string Stingray bass with a compensated nut. I have accurately intonated the bridge saddles for all the strings at the 12th fret in the normal way .. but I have a bad problem:

The first few frets are now flat by a significant amount - eg 5-7 cents for the 3rd fret. The evidence suggests this is the compensated nut. This is a huge downer as it is an otherwise great instrument. The most basic requirement for an instrument to be in tune.

Is there anything I can do? PS I'm using La Bella Deep Talkin' bass flat wounds, my digital tuner is 100% accurate. PPS Is it possible to get a non compensated nut for a Stingray?

Regards,

Simon

Datasmog

I would like a response to this. I’ve just acquired 4HH and have the same issues. I‘m used to setting up my various basses but this one is presenting problems I’ve never had before.
And yes I have set the witness points.

Rod Trussbroken

Hello there. I wonder if anyone can advise me? I have a 4 string Stingray bass with a compensated nut. I have accurately intonated the bridge saddles for all the strings at the 12th fret in the normal way .. but I have a bad problem:

The first few frets are now flat by a significant amount - eg 5-7 cents for the 3rd fret. The evidence suggests this is the compensated nut. This is a huge downer as it is an otherwise great instrument. The most basic requirement for an instrument to be in tune.

Is there anything I can do? PS I'm using La Bella Deep Talkin' bass flat wounds, my digital tuner is 100% accurate. PPS Is it possible to get a non compensated nut for a Stingray?

Regards,

Simon
I don't have that problem at all. I use EBMM Super Slinky Round Wounds and a Peterson strobe tuner.

I've just re-checked two of my EBMM Basses. One has the compensated nut and the other has the non-compensated. Both are in tune.

Are you retuning the strings to pitch after each saddle adjustment & before the need to adjust the saddles further?

tbonesullivan

How old is the bass? Is there any wear on the lower frets? I have two SR5s with the compensated nuts and I have never had any intonation issues.

mirkin

How old is the bass? Is there any wear on the lower frets? I have two SR5s with the compensated nuts and I have never had any intonation issues.
I reckon the bass is 10 years old (I will have to check). It's in mint condition, so no wear on the lower frets.

mirkin

I don't have that problem at all. I use EBMM Super Slinky Round Wounds and a Peterson strobe tuner.

I've just re-checked two of my EBMM Basses. One has the compensated nut and the other has the non-compensated. Both are in tune.

Are you retuning the strings to pitch after each saddle adjustment & before the need to adjust the saddles further?
Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have returned the strings to pitch and before the adjustment. I've been setting up guitars for 35 years so trust me I have done everything correctly. I have also checked with 4 different tuners (Kemper / Korg / IPhone / Logic Pro) which all agree.

So frustrating. I'm having to tune the bass to fretted notes so that I can record in tune. But I'm trouble when I hit an open string. Vice versa if I tune to the open string.

Rod Trussbroken

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have returned the strings to pitch and before the adjustment. I've been setting up guitars for 35 years so trust me I have done everything correctly. I have also checked with 4 different tuners (Kemper / Korg / IPhone / Logic Pro) which all agree.

So frustrating. I'm having to tune the bass to fretted notes so that I can record in tune. But I'm trouble when I hit an open string. Vice versa if I tune to the open string.
Very odd that both you and Datasmog (above) have the problem.

I suggest Emailing Customer Service for advice:

Rod Trussbroken

I would like a response to this. I’ve just acquired 4HH and have the same issues. I‘m used to setting up my various basses but this one is presenting problems I’ve never had before.
If you still have problems and purchased new, then you should approach the store where you bought it and seek their assistance. Otherwise, Contact Customer Service.

mirkin

What strings are you using? (Not that should make any difference...)

mirkin

Mirkin. Have you been able to intonate correctly with other strings in the past?
So the answer is that I did not *notice* the issue with the previous very old round wounds. These came with the bass. So I definitely micro adjusted the intonation the standard way with the old round wounds - BUT - I assumed all was ok. I never checked the pitch of the fretted note.

I recently put on the the new strings (La Bella Deep Talking Bass Flatwounds) then set the intonation as usual, set the pitch using the open strings as usual ... but whilst recording noticed the bass track sound a little out of tune. So out came the multiple tuners, and sure enough they showed the fretted notes were significantly flat compared to the perfectly in-tune open strings.

So I can't be absolutely sure that this problem did not exist on the round wounds, only that I didn't notice it. I would have to scrap my expensive new La Bellas and install some new round wounds to prove it. Also I don't see why I shouldn't be able to use these flatwounds on my top of the line bass.

BTW As a work around I tuned the bass to the fretted notes. But of course this just shifted the issue to the open strings.

If you tune up your MMSR to be perfectly in-tune please could you tell me what the pitch reading is at the 3rd fret on the low E? I'm getting -7 cents :-(

Last edited:

mynan

Isn't the compensated nut designed to mitigate higher string tension at the first few frets? If you are having issues with the first few frets being flat, then you are right...the compensated nut isn't helping you since, as I understand it, the compensated nut is designed to mitigate the more common issue of the first few frets being sharp. I don't have any experience with the strings you mentioned, but it sounds like something in your setup is producing lower than normal string tension.

mirkin

Isn't the compensated nut designed to mitigate higher string tension at the first few frets? If you are having issues with the first few frets being flat, then you are right...the compensated nut isn't helping you since, as I understand it, the compensated nut is designed to mitigate the more common issue of the first few frets being sharp. I don't have any experience with the strings you mentioned, but it sounds like something in your setup is producing lower than normal string tension.
Exactly. I've raised a ticket with customer services. Let's see what they come back with.

Datasmog

Well mine has settled down now after a couple of days. I guess it takes a while after new strings, truss rod adjustment etc. But I need a set of bridge saddles. See my other post, I’m in the UK and Ernie Ball wont ship them here for some reason.

mirkin

Well mine has settled down now after a couple of days. I guess it takes a while after new strings, truss rod adjustment etc. But I need a set of bridge saddles. See my other post, I’m in the UK and Ernie Ball wont ship them here for some reason.
Call Strings and Things as they are uk importer of MM including spares. They will give you the part number. Strings Direct will then order it for you

Datasmog

I emailed MM customer service and they came back with 3 UK retailers who could order and supply the parts. They are:
GuitarGuitar
Peachguitars
Andertons
I’ll be contacting them next week.

Top Bottom