• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

What is your favourite fretboard wood?

• Total voters

oli@bass

Until today I'd have said that the difference in sound between maple and rosewood is there, but negligible in the overall picture. But today I played a black/maple SR4 HH a friend of mine bought, and hell, that thing cuts like a japanese sword! I can't believe it! I A/B'd it with my two SR4 HH with rosewood boards and string freshness aside, I got the impression that the maple boarded neck makes the sound not actually brighter but has less lower mids, so it sounds as if it had more highs and bass.

As mentioned somewhere else: It's really fascinating to see how different instruments can be because of the woods.

Lynottfan

Wot no Graphite! c'mon that should be there to!

Ray +graphite= SLAP!

T-bone

I don't think I've seen any graphite fretboards. I have some clubs with graphite shafts though. Not nearly as purty as rosewood.

tbone

your idol

i love the maple as i had stated before but when i got to thinkin about it. when im on bass maple is the only way for me. but when i play guitar (yes i play for both teams) I am very very drawn to ebony because of its marble like feel and quality and it seems to be a little more agressive feeling to me.

not that this all is terribly relevant... i just thought it was odd when i thought of it and possibly worth mentioning

backagain1

I've never played a bass with an ebony fret board, but I love ebony on guitars. If it's between maple and rosewood, I'll go with the maple (like is on my SR5).

backagain1

Grand Wazoo

The discussion is regarding fretboards. I don't think I've ever seen a graphite board.

Well in the early 90's Modulus, MODULUS GUITARS - HAND CRAFTED BASS used to offer replacement necks for various basses including Fender Jazz and Precision, I believe they also did one for the Stingray 4. Nowadays they only do basses as far as I know, and their top seller is the Quantum bass as used by Flea (RHCPeppers).

Other artists who used their basses are Sting, Alphonso Johnson, Me'Shell NdegeOcello to name a few.

your idol

modulus make graphite replacement NECKS. and run graphite neck on i believe all of their modles.. i believe he was refering to the fretboard itself which is tradtionally rosewood. hope it clears the air on that subject :D

edit: the fingerboard woods are either wood composite or chechen

Last edited:

ronnyG

ok now my curiosity is inspired....what would be the benefits if any to having a neck made of graphite...vs. wood?

anyone know?

ekb16b

im guessing that a wood neck is affected more due to humidity and temperature changes thus causing fret buzz and what not

Grand Wazoo

I remember reading quite a few reviews about graphite necks on Bass Player magazine, and I recall that the 3 major benefits from having a graphite neck are as follows:

1) (allegedly) the necks will never lose shape or need adjustment as they are fixed and preshaped to the correct string load/tension, in facts, they don't even come with a truss road
2) they are very similar to ebony in feel and resonance, ebony being the hardest wood out of the lot.
3) They weigh half what your average wood weighs !! :D is that a myth?

Last edited:

your idol

I remember reading quite a few reviews about graphite necks on Bass Player magazine, and I recall that the 3 major benefits from having a graphite neck are as follows:

1) (allegedly) the necks will never lose shape or need adjustment as they are fixed and preshaped to the correct string load/tension, in facts, they don't even come with a truss road
2) they are very similar to ebony in feel and resonance, ebony being the hardest wood out of the lot.

1) The necks hold shape very well but still need to be set up from time to time, but most are rocking a truss rod now.. the modulus necks have a dual adjustment truss rod. idk if that means its accessable at bothe ends or they have 2 seperate functions somehow.

2) graphite is serously rigid so it resonates quite well and is very smooth. it allows the whole shabang to be very punchy.

3) extremely light weight but some people especially ones who have older heavier basses that have used graphite replacement necks have complained that it throw the natural ballance off and makes the bass more bottom heavy and you spend alot of time chasing the neck.

Duarte

I LOVE the Pau ferro, the grain is so dramatic and it is so dense, it feels incredible. Maple for fretted I think, just for looks, and I like the feel of the neck being made from one piece of wood. Rosewood is good if it's very dark - but when it's too light it ooks wrong I think (especially on a stealth bongo...ebony?)

phatduckk

i like whichever matches the pickguard and finish better. its a 100% cosmetic decision for me.

If i stumble upon something that's a great deal or a serious player then the FB has no impact on my decision

IMO string brands, gauges & material can compensate for any supposed tonal difference of the FB

oli@bass

As owner of a SR 4 100th NAMM Anniversary which sports a graphite neck made Status, I can say that all these three assumptions are wrong. It's just a different material, with a different resonance frequence, and much less prone to be affected by humidity and tempereature, but still, it's not completely rigid.

BTW, the fretboard on a graphite neck is not made from graphite but from other phenolic compound, somtimes laminated with wood. And the feel of the poly finished neck is quite different from any wood.

Last edited:

ronnyG

Very interesting, thanks for the input. I never imagined carbon fiber (aka "graphite") would be a good choice for a neck to be made from..but apparently I may be wrong. I know that as a hobby and for a little side cash I build custom guitars (haven't graduated to basses yet, but one day) and I swap necks often and there is quite a difference in feel and tone between different necks,,sometimes even ones made out of the same material.

I just never though graphite would have a nice tone or resonance..but hey..live and learn. The strength and lightweight factor of the material however suits my fancy. May have to try one out in the future.

Anyone ever build a graphite body as well? If so..results? Just curious.

oli@bass

Yes. There are basses build completely from graphite. I won't go and post other manufacturer names here. Please, search the web.

Top Bottom