• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

petebretzke

I hate to say it, but the announcement of the Retro '70s Sting Ray is both exciting and disappointing. While I love all things Sting Ray (I own 2 and will never part with them!), I'm frustrated that we don't have anything new except special variations of the tried and true Sting Ray. It's awesome to say the least, but I miss the days when the Big Al, , Sabre Classic, Cutlass, and Caprice basses were available alongside the SR, Sterling, and Bongo. Big Poppa even talked about a St. Vincent bass at one point.
To make matters worse, we are limited to a select few finishes, no choice in fretboard, and no choice in hardware. I mean, I would totally pull the trigger on a Sting Ray Special HH in sunburst with an ebony fretboard, tort pick guard, and modern chrome hardware but alas, the closest I can get is burnt ends or a short scale, passive SR.
I'm loyal though and I will keep holding my breath. I get it, new means additional cost, and I know EBMM is not in business to just get by. I respect that, but I would really love to see something new. Something active. Something funky. Something that isn't another Sting Ray.

racerx

I think this is very cool. Between the 70's Stingray the Stingray Special you have vintage accurate and very modern versions of the same bass. And the short scale! :cool:
I really dig the mutes. I recently got my hands on a Classic Sabre with them installed and it was my first experience using them. I'm sure they are a blast on StingRays too.

petebretzke

I totally get it. Classic SRs are nearly impossible to find in decent shape without paying an arm and a leg. I’m way cool with these - they are sexy as all get out! My gripe is we have so many flavors of the same few basses. I’d really like to see something as earth shattering/ground breaking as the Big Al was. Something new, something active, something in a standard 34” scale with 2 or more pickups.
Again, I’m a complete EBMM fan and love Music Man basses. I just want something new is all.

mynan

One of these would fit in very nicely with my Pre-EB 1978, Old Smoothie and Classic Rays (y)
I would love to see/hear a side-by-side comparison of all 4. Was there any difference between a "regular" Ray and the Classic Ray besides the mute bridge and color options?

Rod Trussbroken

I would love to see/hear a side-by-side comparison of all 4. Was there any difference between a "regular" Ray and the Classic Ray besides the mute bridge and color options?
The Classic had a slab body and either 4 or 5 string. Neck is 7.5" radius with a choice of Flamed or Birds Eye maple. Also a choice of Maple or Rosewood fret board. 2EQ preamp only. Strings through body.

At the same time the regular Ray had a contoured body with an 11" radius oil/wax neck (Classic is finished neck). A choice of 2EQ or 3EQ

The 2EQ preamp in each is the same.

greensauce

Yooo all hail yhe RAY! classic or bust man I tell you what nothin holds down the bottom like a stingray except no substitutes live my sterling ray5string

nebadon

Hopefully the pre EB cultists will put money where their mouth is:)

Sarcasm Ahead(kinda)
Since they don't like EB Stingrays last 40 years and believe Leo's original is best and all EB efforts, passion Etc. In improving Stingray failed and ruined original product even Giving Them the Classic but with modern upgrades they snubbed

Last edited:

nebadon

Hopefully the pre EB cultists will put money where their mouth is:)

Sarcasm Ahead(kinda)
Since they don't like EB Stingrays last 40 years and believe Leo's original is best and all EB efforts, passion Etc. In improving Stingray failed and ruined original product even Giving Them the Classic but with modern upgrades they snubbed
PS to my post; Fun aside I am sure the Retro's are a well built, great playing, Excellent sounding Basses as are 3 bands last few decades and Special now

Golem

The whole array of SR variations just flys by me. I have several SRs (and a few Sterlings) only one "vintage" but none are of the variations of the past 10 to 15 years. IOW just vanilla models of SR and Sterling with quite a variety of PUs etc.

HOWEVER ... my fave is my "vintage" '89. Skunk stripe neck, 3 EQ, fantastic defret job. Not a "cult approved" version of vintage and I never bought it seeking a vintage bass. I bought it as a maple FB fretless cuz THAT intrigued me.

Does the triple EQ violate something ? Is an '89 "too new" ? Is the 4-bolt neck joint "true vintage" or simply inferior and weaker ??? Why cant this just be a cool bass that happens to be 35yrs old ? Im kinda glad that the defret mod job removes my bass from consideration by cultists ... especially since that "major violation" made it verrrry affordable for me to buy !

FWIW, most of my other also beloved MMs are FLs with piezos or with the HS PU config ... three currently unavailable options. Im also left handed so I can sympathise with that rejected constuency even tho I personally dont play lefty.

So Im not one to lust for vintage MMs but Im starting to understand that, cuz EB no longer builds anything like the MMs that brought me into the fold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom