• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jimmyb

What are you guys, guitarists? I've just given them a piece of my mind for asking for EVEN MORE options.

I expect more from you bassists. (Which is probably foolish.)

Jack

Jack, we've lost that piece, can you check down the back of the sofa?

Aussie Mark

What are you guys, guitarists? I've just given them a piece of my mind for asking for EVEN MORE options.

I expect more from you bassists. (Which is probably foolish.)

Well, the "look" of the Stingray and Sterling caters to people with big and small hands, given the two models have different sized necks (and now you can get Sterling necks on Stingray bodies), but Big Al comes in one neck width only - which means us guys who can't squeeze our fingers into skinny necks are left out of the terrific looking ground breaking Big Al party.

I get the thing about too many options for the factory to handle, but this one seems a no brainer, given the excitement Big Al is generating.

TheAntMan

but Big Al comes in one neck width only - which means us guys who can't squeeze our fingers into skinny necks are left out of the terrific looking ground breaking Big Al party.

My wife affectionately calls my hands and feet 'Sasquach' sized :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a 25th with the same neck profile as the Big AL and have no problems playing this dream bass. I tried the Big AL and it was very comfortable to play. These basses seem to be a hybrid of the Sterling and Bongo necks.

Check it out, you will be surprised how well they fit us big "ham mitt" guys :)

-- Ant

Aussie Mark

I tried the Big AL and it was very comfortable to play. These basses seem to be a hybrid of the Sterling and Bongo necks.

Check it out, you will be surprised how well they fit us big "ham mitt" guys

But it's still 1.5" at the nut. I've owned maybe 10 basses with 1.5" wide nuts and have never felt comfortable with any of them.

bassmonkeee

My wife affectionately calls my hands and feet 'Sasquach' sized :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a 25th with the same neck profile as the Big AL and have no problems playing this dream bass. I tried the Big AL and it was very comfortable to play. These basses seem to be a hybrid of the Sterling and Bongo necks.

Check it out, you will be surprised how well they fit us big "ham mitt" guys :)

-- Ant

Are you sure? It is my understanding that the 25th Anniversary necks are identical to the Bongo necks in profile, and the Big Al necks are identical to Sterling necks in profile.

snowbum

I just love all the options we have with MM!! Thanks BP!!! The innovation in this company is going leaps and bounds in the right direction!!

I like both neck profiles, but how great it would be to change tone between the sterling and the ray and still have the same neck feel... I dig it, and I will own one for sure!

FunkyPunky

Well... "I['d] expect[ed] more form you bassists." Having read about your opinions of neck profiles so far:
Ever considered this might be an option for the future to squeeze out the rest of your????

Just think of the different configurations: maple, rosewood, ebony (which I like best), pao on either a StingRay size or on a Sterling one... Each and everyone places orders now just to find out soon: Ooooops, new necks /w different woods and finishes available.

Moreover, I must admit that although I like the StingRay neck for the slappin'-style: I can do the technique on a Sterling as well (and not worse). So I don't really care - at least as long as concerning four strings....

Greetings

bizmarckie

Just think of the different configurations: maple, rosewood, ebony (which I like best), pao on either a StingRay size or on a Sterling one... Each and everyone places orders now just to find out soon: Ooooops, new necks /w different woods and finishes available.

Wow, there's always gotta be THAT guy...
I like the SLO Special option, it gives my small handed self more accessibility to the 'Ray. Sweet Action! Thanks BP!

bovinehost

Administrator
Well... "I['d] expect[ed] more form you bassists." Having read about your opinions of neck profiles so far:
Ever considered this might be an option for the future to squeeze out the rest of your????

If I was unclear, which is entirely possible but in this case unlikely, let me rephrase my initial post in this way: "Some people are never happy."

Are you reading my opinions of neck profiles? Was that directed at me? I'd be glad to sum it up.

1. Stingray necks are hefty and solid. They are not baseball bats ala Warwick or some P bass neck profiles. I've never found them to be too big or too thick or too anything other than perfect.

2. Sterling necks are slim, fast and - until the Bongo came along - were maybe the best production necks ever. Perfect for those who prefer the J-style over the (so called) P-style.

3. Bongo necks are dead sexy.

Everything else coming out is based on those three necks. For instance, the Big Al has a Sterling profile neck, etc etc.

But to be even more clear, this is a thread about the SLO Specials, a Stingray body and electronics with a Sterling-sized neck profile.

Hope that clears things up.

Jack

PS: Don't push your luck.

bassmonkeee

Yeah, and I can buy a computer or a tv tomorrow, and the offered specs might change the next day, too. What's your point besides complaining?

syciprider

EBMM should offer a Bongo neck on a Stingray too! With fanned frets! And Roman numeral inlays! Using balsawood!

Redblade

So, will there be a narrower neck Bongo option in the future? I mean, not that I think there needs to be, the Bongo neck is perfect as far as I'm concerned. I am assuming not since the Bongo is already thinner than the Stingray neck, right? I.e., thinner front to back, not nut width obviously. Anyway, I was just curious since this is being offered for the Stingray.

Top Bottom