• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Robbocurry

Just wondering if anyone can tell me who has had a Sub dismantled, is there any serial number info hidden elsewhere on the bass? I have my eye on a 5 string that I think is being mistakenly sold by a 3rd party as an SBMM. It’s had a total refinish and the serial sticker has gone. It has what appears to be original Sub USA hardware, slab body and neck (from the pictures I’ve seen). Sadly it has had a Bart p/u and preamp fitted🤯. To me it looks 100% like a USA sub. My intention is to buy and restore to original as best I can - perhaps not painting the neck though 👍🏻😉.

five7

Not that I have seen, owned many. I have seen a Sub that had the body contoured and a EB decal put on the peghead.

Mathil8

Anyone know what kind of finish is on the USA sub series basses? I have a black USA SUB 5 I'd like to paint white.

Robbocurry

I'll try asking Customer Service, was hoping someone on here might know more about it though!
I’ve got a Sub 5 I just bought “customised” - read “destroyed” in this instance. (That’s why I was curious about a serial elsewhere on the body) It apparently started out life as a white bass - what was the previous owner thinking!!!!??? I want to bring it back up to spec (except maybe the neck) so I’d love to know more about the paint too. I read somewhere it’s a base cost then a low pressure “spatter” coat with a bigger nozzle. Trial and error with a few chunks of wood looks like the way forward - having a similar paint composition to the original would be a great start! The neck and headstock paint info also needed. Any info gleaned at all would be greatly appreciated:)

Mathil8

The only information I was able to get from customer service is that the body has a "polyester matte finish".

Robbocurry

The only information I was able to get from customer service is that the body has a "polyester matte finish".
I’m just restoring a SUB 5 atm and using a spray product called “structure spray”. It’s an automotive product used I think on bumpers and car undersides. It comes in fine and coarse - the coarse gives a similar finish one painted. I’m in the UK but I’m sure similar products are available worldwide. It’s taken a few applications plus a top colour but it’s looking good to me

Robbocurry

Yes it’s been taken back to the bare wood. I sprayed the headstock with clear varnish and used Danish oil on the neck. I painted the front of the headstock black and kept the rest natural. It didn’t come with the serial sticker so I added a “made in SLO” decal to the back of it.

Sorry, off on a tangent!
I now think I’ve found the serial from EB by a process of elimination using the build date. According to the EB database only one SUB5 was built on the same date stamped on the body.

Maybe someone out there knows if the process is indeed a body date stamp just prior to neck fitting and stickering???

Back to the finish:
Some 480 grit sandpaper brought it up lovely and smooth and then a bit of 800 grit to finish.
It really feels lovely and the neck wood looks good.
I probably wasted time getting the body super smooth as the “Structure Spray” covers blemishes really well.

I used a grey “etcher primer” to start, then the structure spray, then “satin black” finishing off with clear semi gloss spray varnish/clear coat.

At some stage in the future I’d love to get the body done in a pro paint shop but this was a good experiment for me.
The bass was bought online in a sorry state - plus it got damaged in transit - so whatever I was going to do to it was going to be a vast improvement!

It’s just away now for a setup and fret dress - I’ll upload some pictures of it when I get it back.

Last edited:

Robbocurry

Ready to gig again!
Few wee bits to mention.
Replacement decal too big so I cut off the “5” at the end.
The neck is sweet and tbh much nicer to play unpainted.
The body surface is a tiny bit rougher than stock but hoping it will wear down a bit.
Pretty pleased the way it has turned out, you can see the “before” pics, it wasn’t much to look at!
I’d have preferred the originals but the supplied Bartolini pickup & preamp actually sound very good.
The neck on this is lovely, one of the nicest 5 string basses I’ve ever had.

102F4946-7EBD-4A15-AAAA-894BEDA0533D.jpeg

C40CE1D0-DAB2-43DB-B653-14F6E4507FE8.jpeg

B1FB0AEE-DC9C-4AAB-956C-191188E548BE.jpeg

F18324B5-1B08-4E34-B1E3-C03158010129.jpeg

2AE5E580-8696-48A1-AEFE-D903BC496133.jpeg

890F5AF2-DDF2-4174-91C3-B07E867EAF1E.png

Last edited:

Bonfire

Greetings from snowy Finland!
This is my first post on the forum and to be honest, I feel somewhat like a wolf in sheep's clothing since I'm more of a guitarist than a bassist and I beg forgiveness for it. Nevertheless, I wanted to share some pics of my recent purchase.
Couple of months ago I bought this 2003 model USA made S.U.B. 5 bass and I started to search every bit of information I could find. I can vaguelly remember this series from back in the day they were imported in Finland. I have always appreciated the craftsmanship of all the EBMM instruments but this is actually the first in my own possession. Better late than never, right?
The instrument itself is in excellent shape and replaced the stock pickguard into that mirror one which in my opinion enhance the appearance quite a bit. It has exceptionally good quality rosewood board and, most importantly, it plays and sounds like a beast!

IMG_0252 1.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255 1.jpg

IMG_0259 1.jpg

IMG_0264 1.jpg

IMG_0265 1.jpg

Last edited:

Golem

Often called truck bed liner finish. :D
Thank you for the inspired idea. I have an SR5 that really deserves a refin. Now Ill hafta see what colors truck bed spray comes in. If its still only just black then todays crop of marketing types is brain dead.

Rod Trussbroken

This is my first post on the forum and to be honest, I feel somewhat like a wolf in sheep's clothing since I'm more of a guitarist than a bassist and I beg forgiveness for it. Nevertheless, I wanted to share some pics of my recent purchase.
Couple of months ago I bought this 2003 model USA made S.U.B. 5 bass and I started to search every bit of information I could find. I can vaguelly remember this series from back in the day they were imported in Finland. I have always appreciated the craftsmanship of all the EBMM instruments but this is actually the first in my own possession. Better late than never, right?
The instrument itself is in excellent shape and replaced the stock pickguard into that mirror one which in my opinion enhance the appearance quite a bit. It has exceptionally good quality rosewood board and, most importantly, it plays and sounds like a beast!

View attachment 40956

View attachment 40957

View attachment 40958

View attachment 40959

View attachment 40961

View attachment 40963

View attachment 40964

Welcome to the Forum.

Good choice for Bass (y)

grumpyoldman

S.U.B.5 Active in case 01c.png EbMMSub5Grey2.jpg

...and with those pictures of my two S.U.B5 basses, I am back!

Well, I was never really gone, as I have had the graphite passive S.U.B5 for years, I have just recently acquired the white active S.U.B5, just in time for my return to active bass duty (after a few years of guitar gigs).

I'm stoked, but then again, what would one expect with EBMM basses??

mynan

View attachment 40956

View attachment 40957

View attachment 40958

View attachment 40959

View attachment 40961

View attachment 40963

View attachment 40964

Nice find! If given the choice, I would take one of those over a SBMM any day.

Top Bottom