• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Monahan

Congrats on the NBD!!

Love that color ;) As for the painted neck, I suspect it will take a lot of play time to wear it down (polyester/polyurethane is pretty durable). If/when any wear happens it will serve as a reminder of all the good times you've spent together :D

Enjoy!

Last edited:

danny-79

Congrats on the NBD!!

Love that color ;) As for the painted neck, I suspect it will take a lot of play time to wear it down (polyester/polyurethane is pretty durable). If/when any wear happens it will serve as a reminder of all the good times you've spent together :D

Enjoy!

Thanks ! I’m over the moon with it.
It’s interesting putting them both side to side seeing how they have evolved over the years. I love them both but the neck finish on the new one is the biggest, my favourite improvement.

I’m still trying to figure out how the new machine heads fit with out any screws holding them down ?
Any ideas ? I suspect something like a square hole but anyways again another great improvement. Zero neck dive

bovinehost

Administrator
There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when the Bongo appeared with its outrageous painted neck. I'm sure I'd never had a bass with a painted neck before, but the Bongo was too...something, and the first time I saw one, I was in.

The oldest Bongo I have is my Candy Red 5H and it was my main bass immediately upon arrival in 2005. It's been through the wars and has the scrapes to prove it. For various reasons, none of them good, I retired it a few years ago. So that didn't work out. I brought it back out and have used it constantly for the last 4-5 years.

The painted neck is still in great shape. Maybe a little less shiny than it used to be, but so am I. I'm not worried about wear. If it DOES someday start to show wood, I'll sand it down, oil/wax it and keep on playing it.

Jack

danny-79

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when the Bongo appeared with its outrageous painted neck. I'm sure I'd never had a bass with a painted neck before, but the Bongo was too...something, and the first time I saw one, I was in.

The oldest Bongo I have is my Candy Red 5H and it was my main bass immediately upon arrival in 2005. It's been through the wars and has the scrapes to prove it. For various reasons, none of them good, I retired it a few years ago. So that didn't work out. I brought it back out and have used it constantly for the last 4-5 years.

The painted neck is still in great shape. Maybe a little less shiny than it used to be, but so am I. I'm not worried about wear. If it DOES someday start to show wood, I'll sand it down, oil/wax it and keep on playing it.

Jack

For me it’s all about the oil & wax neck finish. It needs to be something pretty special to make me want to stray away from that formula.
Bongo 4 is one of the older/original runs 2005. I’m still in awe of how new it is. I think I’ve put more miles on it in the last 18months or so of owning it than its ever had. The neck is completely blemish free. Shiny. Very shiny. Bit too shiny but nowhere near as bad to play as in my initial imagination.

New Bongo 2019 now that’s just something completely different neck finish. It’s painted but feels like it’s not ??? Some sort of secret magic going on there
I’m in complete awe of it anyway. Very happy customer :D

Top Bottom