• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Archer

Here we go again! They are the new Facebook cover.... But no word of where and when we can buy them :(

The core AND plain strings.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/5386/m-steel-regular-slinky said:
M-Steel, short for Maraging Steel, is a superalloy used in high stress applications for the aerospace and defense industries. The wound strings are comprised of a patented Super Cobalt alloy wrapped around a Maraging steel hex core wire, producing a richer and fuller tone with powerful low end response. M-Steel plain strings are comprised of a specially tempered steel for maximum fatigue resistance. A patented winding of steel around the ball end of the plain strings reduces slippage, breakage and stays in tune better than conventional plain strings.

Hi,
Ernie Ball's description about plain steel isn't very clear. "Specially tempered steel" isn't synonym of "Maraging Steel". As I understand the sentence, M-Steel plain strings are not made of "Maraging Steel" but "specially tempered steel". If they are made of "Maraging Steel", it would be better to write something like "M-Steel plain strings are comprised of Maraging Steel, a specially tempered steel, for maximum fatigue resistance.". Are you sure that plain strings are made of "Maraging Steel" ?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying them as soon as they are in shops.
Thanks.

DCStingray

Archer,
we're under way on full-scale production of the M-Steel string line and sets will be in stores in March/April depending on speed of distribution to stores in your area. It's been a long and EXTREMELY thorough process to refine and perfect these strings.

Hi,
Thanks for you perseverance in innovation.
Would you have some answer to my questions in posts #22 & #23 ?
Respectfully,
FreeBird.

DCStingray

Hi,
Thanks for you perseverance in innovation.
Would you have some answer to my questions in posts #22 & #23 ?
Respectfully,
FreeBird.

Hey Freebird,
the plain strings have been updated from the original formula to incorporate an updated variation of high carbon steel instead of maraging steel as a result of artist feedback. The tonality of high carbon steel plain strings better complements the tonal profile of the M-Steel wound strings. The maraging steel cores for the wound strings provide a bit more girth or warmth (mainly a boost in the fundamental frequency) compared to the Cobalt Slinkys yet still retains the clarity and snap you get from Cobalt Slinkys.

Mysticman13

I just received my jp6 last week and the shop got a few packs of m steels! I left with the first set out of the shop;) as a thank you! The will get on the guitar this week!
Any one want me to come back with a review?

I just received my jp6 last week and the shop got a few packs of m steels! I left with the first set out of the shop;) as a thank you! The will get on the guitar this week!
Any one want me to come back with a review?

Hi. I would be very interested in a review. Thanks.

savemenow

I have a nickel allergy and currently use Ernie Ball stainless slinkies because of much lower nickel content. Are these M-steels going to replace the stainless? Also, I'd be interested in the percentage of nickel content in the M-steels, including the plain strings. I don't know what the nickel content is for the stainless, but I can use them without rash breaking out. Is it possible the plain strings are the same for both M-steels and stainless? Would like to try these new M-Steels.

DCStingray

Hey savemenow,
great question! The M-Steel and Cobalt Slinkys are both great candidates for players with nickel allergies. There is ZERO NICKEL in Cobalt Slinky strings and the only nickel in M-Steels is in the core wire on the wound strings, so you won't have any problems. The outside of the wound strings is iron and cobalt - no nickel at all. The plain strings are also nickel free. Stainless will still stick around for those that prefer stainless.

I would definitely recommend checking out the new M-Steels. You shouldn't have any problems.

savemenow

Hey savemenow,
great question! The M-Steel and Cobalt Slinkys are both great candidates for players with nickel allergies. There is ZERO NICKEL in Cobalt Slinky strings and the only nickel in M-Steels is in the core wire on the wound strings, so you won't have any problems. The outside of the wound strings is iron and cobalt - no nickel at all. The plain strings are also nickel free. Stainless will still stick around for those that prefer stainless.

I would definitely recommend checking out the new M-Steels. You shouldn't have any problems.

Hey, thanks!! That's great to hear. Last I read, 6% of the population has a nickle allergy. I will definitely try out the M-steels!!

Top Bottom