• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Joey Radical

I noticed that the CoA doesn’t have the number/150 on it. Can that be derived from the serial number? Or will I forever be unknowing?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I noticed that the CoA doesn’t have the number/150 on it. Can that be derived from the serial number? Or will I forever be unknowing?
Run your serial number through the database...

If the number doesn't come up there (I don't think it will) calling or email customer service is your best bet.

MykeeD

Welp…looks like the Luke 4 30th’s at Wildcutt guitars in Lexington, KY, Ryan Fowler’s in MD, and Guitar Center in La Mesa have all found homes. Looks like the only one that can be found is at Stang’s Guitars in Edmonton, Canada. Somebody better grab it!!🤣😂 Congrats to all👍🏾👊🏾

Mixolydian82

cbeck44

Noticed my frets are fairly sharp on new Luke 4. Such a sweet neck, but running a hand down the neck edge is not as smooth as expected. Not sure I noticed it when I got it a few weeks ago. Assume it could be due to humidity maybe due to winter conditions where I am. May have to keep the guitar upstairs out of the studio where temperature is more regulated. Noticed my American Strat does not have the issue (where as my MiM Tele did from day one).

GWDavis28

Noticed my frets are fairly sharp on new Luke 4. Such a sweet neck, but running a hand down the neck edge is not as smooth as expected. Not sure I noticed it when I got it a few weeks ago. Assume it could be due to humidity maybe due to winter conditions where I am. May have to keep the guitar upstairs out of the studio where temperature is more regulated. Noticed my American Strat does not have the issue (where as my MiM Tele did from day one).
Sounds like minor fret sprout, that happens with temperature changes. A tech can clean that up for you.

Glenn |B)

Sunsett

Just a quick check in report. This L4 has become the benchmark in build quality, tuning stability, and overall feel. A good example of nailing the objective and subjective goals I personally look for in an instrument.

Too heavy to play out with though. And a little too dear to risk in that environment as well. Time to start looking for a lighter, less expensive Luke hss to fill the role. I’m sold…

billyofcourse

Tried out an HSS luke 3 on a whim a couple weeks ago. Was my first real experience with a music man guitar. Absolutely fell in love with it and bought it on the spot for a decent price. That being said, i've now definitely got my eyes on an SSS luke 4 and can't wait to try one out. If all goes well will probably pick one up in the next few weeks assuming I can find one to try out and like it as much as my luke 3(which I'd be surprised if I didn't).

blake100blake

Update: I’ve had my Steamroller for roughly a month and a half or so now. I’ve played it out for 3 separate gigs in that time and man it might be my new number 1. Previously my number one was my HSS L3 with a Rosewood neck, still have it and it’s a killer guitar. But man the L4 is hard to beat. The HT pickups are so perfect, and mine is a fairly light example from what I can tell at 8 lbs 7 oz. Very comfortable, neck is flawless, looks killer, and it just delivers ton that beats the similar sounds you could possibly get on a Gibson or Fender. It’s simply a better guitar in every way

Epiplatys

Can I ask what’s your pickup height it came with? My string setup from the factory is med-low at 1.2mm at the 17th fret yet still I’m getting 8mm string to bridge pickup distance when a string fretted on the 22nd. It feels way too much, but not sure if this is intentional or not. The single coils are even further away from the strings.

GoKart Mozart

Can I ask what’s your pickup height it came with? My string setup from the factory is med-low at 1.2mm at the 17th fret yet still I’m getting 8mm string to bridge pickup distance when a string fretted on the 22nd. It feels way too much, but not sure if this is intentional or not. The single coils are even further away from the strings.
I noticed that as well but the volume levels seem fine. Here's how mine arrived; depressing 22nd fret on the low E and measuring from the bottom of the string to the top of the pickup cover:

Neck = 5/32 (4mm)
Bridge = 6.5/64 (slightly less than 3mm)

String height was just a hair over 3/64 (slight less than 2mm) at the 17th fret.

Epiplatys

Thank you! That’s a huge variance for the factory setup. Your string to pickup distance is more than twice lower than mine! I bet your Floyd base plate is (almost) flush with the body, and this is how it should be.

GoKart Mozart

Thank you! That’s a huge variance for the factory setup. Your string to pickup distance is more than twice lower than mine! I bet your Floyd base plate is (almost) flush with the body, and this is how it should be.

I think we must be measuring differently; you're measuring to the top of the pickup cover? I don't see how yours could be 8mm if we're doing it the same way; if so, YOURS would be the one that's twice as low.
1702277504058.png

Epiplatys

Yes, measuring exactly the same way: pressed on the 22nd fret and taking measure from the top of the bridge pickup to the bottom of the string. In my case it is 8mm on the low E and 7mm on the high E. My other Lukes (L3s) are showing more like 2.5….3.2mm, same as yours.
Well, I guess I got my L4 30th setup a bit on the weird side. Since the strings are already pretty low over the fretboard (the neck relief is set correctly) I’m only looking at shaving some wood off of the neck base plate, or using spacers to change the neck to body angle in order to fix this. Not exactly what I’d love to do but I can’t see any other way. Oh, and the Floyd base plate is sitting 2-3mm above the body level, which is a tell tale the neck to body angle is not right. Normally it is expected to be flush with the body, give or take.

GoKart Mozart

Interesting; so the Floyd baseplate was sitting 2-3mm high above the body from the factory? I guess lowering it won’t help much because you’ll probably end up with the strings contacting the heel end of the neck and every note fretting out, since your action sounds like it’s already nice & low at 1.2mm. The baseplate on mine is actually recessed about 1/32" into the route on the bass side.

Just out of curiosity, how high out of the neck pocket is the top of your fretboard?
1702305466506.png

I’d reach out to customer service since the guitar is new & under warranty and get their opinion.

Epiplatys

Thanks!
Here is mine for comparison, looks like the neck is sitting about 1mm higher than yours: 2mm from the body to the bottom of the fretboard, and 8mm to the top. Based on your pic you got 1mm and 7mm respectively. This would certainly make a big difference, also amplified at the bridge. Not bad for manufacturing tolerances! ;)

IMG_1641.jpeg

Top Bottom