• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GWDavis28

So, this is interesting. It's not a detail I would have ever noticed but looking at images of other Sports from the same era none have the larger marker dots. I now have to assume that was part of the work done in the original 'Tele' conversion. I was half hoping they were stickers of some sort but they are not. They are very nicely installed though and would be hard to tell they were not factory installed. For better or worse, if nothing else, I guess it's unique...

Well there you go, glad I asked and your happy with them!!!

Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

NICE!!! I'm a little confused though, is that one guitar or two? It was routed SSH, and painted, so is the guitar with two H pickups a different one, or did you have the neck pickup route expanded?

nervous

NICE!!! I'm a little confused though, is that one guitar or two? It was routed SSH, and painted, so is the guitar with two H pickups a different one, or did you have the neck pickup route expanded?

Ahh, well done. Yes, when it went out it was as an HSS. And that's what I originally loaded it with. However, when I found the genuine Axis humbuckers I did have to remove a bit more body in the neck pickup area to accommodate. Then do a bit more work with some custom maple inserts to then direct mount them as they woudl have been so I didn't have to pickguard mount them. The latter would have been as tricky because there are no threaded sections on the pickup legs, just plain holes to direct mount. I wasn't thrilled about getting into the perfect paint this early on but it's not visible anyway. I was first going to use shielding paint but instead I applied copper shielding tape to the entire cavity and you can see unless you actually pulled the tape. And even then it wouldn't matter. Pickups are solidly mounted as the same height as my Super Sport.

tbonesullivan

Ok, confusion lifted! That is a great color. I've always wanted an Axis SS. I just for some reason keep having trouble when it comes down to tremolo (which i don't use) or hard tail. I keep considering that for some reason I may become a whammy monster in the future. Which I won't.

nervous

Ok, confusion lifted! That is a great color. I've always wanted an Axis SS. I just for some reason keep having trouble when it comes down to tremolo (which i don't use) or hard tail. I keep considering that for some reason I may become a whammy monster in the future. Which I won't.

My other Super Sport has the vintage trem, but it's set up almost as a fixed bridge and a lot of shows I don't even put the arm in any more. Despite the artful wobbles I sometimes like to inflect it's just not that big a deal for me. But I think in the bigger picture vintage bridges are certainly more plentiful and probably have a better resale outlook. Playing this one now as my #1 I really don't miss the option.

Top Bottom