• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

soupcon

From a thread about a week and a half ago (here: http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/59763-what-color.html), picked up a very unusual Morse guitar...

I'd never seen or heard of another quite like it... Other than in Steve's hands when an identical guitar was presented to each of the signature artists in this unusual True Gold color with solid rosewood neck for the 25th anniversary shows.

morse_true_gold1.png

And here's a short video clip from which the picture above was taken:

Once I got it in hand, saw that the neck plate, in addition to the serial number is inscribed "Custom Made", so started doing some detective work, and puzzle pieces started coming together...

I bought it from a guy in Utah, who wouldn't say who he bought it from but did admit it was from Las Vegas...

Steve's son, Kevin Morse, has been living in Las Vegas for several years (although recently moved back to Florida) playing in a band called New World Martyr (who opened for Flying Colors on their first-album tour a couple years ago) and regularly played a guitar identical to the one that was given to his dad...

morse_true_gold2.jpg

That was enough of a lead for me to contact Kevin Morse directly - who said he sold/traded it to Guitar Center in Las Vegas about a year ago - and that when he got rid of it, there was a black DiMarzio Clip-Lock Strap (just like his old man! :) ) installed on it - and the guitar I received came with exactly that! Everything "fit", but Kevin Morse didn't have a record of the serial number to confirm 100%...

Thus, contacted EBMM customer service, who confirmed the serial number of this guitar *is* the one that was provided to Steve.

So, herewith I present to you, the one and only Steve Morse True Gold guitar - made personally for Steve and gigged for the 25th Anniversary presentations!

morse_true_gold3.jpg

Certainly didn't know that's what this was when buying it, but will now be treasured and I'm so thankful this guitar didn't end up in a yard sale, "lost to history" with no one ever recognizing what it was...

Kevin

well, that's unlikely because otherwise I would have bought it :)

Dr.Strangenote

I just don't understand either why these gifts to artists are given away like that.. I see it or read about this quite often, ebay, etc. I can understand Steve Morse has his #1 (and sticks with what "works for him") who can even get another one at a drop of the dime; but a unique musicman given to Steve by Sterling that is special for a specific purpose and handed over is just mindblowing. It really amazes me the thought process of where and how that special gift gets handed down. Granted, this 'special' guitar was given to his Son, and only him and Steve know the real story behind it. But If I had a special guitar given to me by my father, I'd offer to give it back or just hold onto it or hang it on the wall if I no longer wished to play it for whatever reason. On top of all that, even selling it to GC is just a last resort over craigslist, ebay, etc. It is what it is... Again, only the Morse's know the reason, financial issue, emergency, whatever..

I'm really happy and excited for the new owner. It couldn't have gone to a better person than in the hands of one of our own Ball Family. I guess things have just gone full circle if we can call it that. Kevin, Congrats!

Last edited:

Eric O'Reilly

Its just a guitar, its a tool, yes its special but it may not have been Steves cup of tea, and his son can do what he sees fit with it, and just because we knuckleheads are SOOOOO into gear and such, but to the endorsed artist, its just another tool, and I highly doubt Sterling would take offence at all, but in the end its cool that Kestrou wound up with it!

kestrou

Doc Strangenote,

I've seen some of the quick flips that other artists do too - but this is far from that.

Steve is so attached to #1 that I don't think any other guitar will ever take it's place - and I guess he had enough guitars sitting around personally so he gave it to his son at some point. Nice touch there...

Son didn't quick flip it either - gigged it for years and did lots of recording with it, so it got plenty of "love" and is in VERY good shape considering the life it's lived (very minimal scratches/dings).

I don't know details of Kevin Morse selling/trading it to Guitar Center, but as I stated earlier, pretty much all of us have been young and dumb (I mean youthful! :) ) in the past - but he definitely respected the guitar and treated it with care.

GC didn't know this was a one-off made just for Steve - and neither did the guy that bought it from them - that's the sad/scary part of the story to me, so I'm glad it's been "rescued" and is now back in the consciousness of our collective group so that it doesn't get lost again in the future.

Kevin

fbecir

Dr Strangenote,

For some of us, a guitar that Steve Morse played is more valuable than the Holy Grail, but for Kevin Morse is just another guitar of his dad (and I'm quite sure there are a lot of guitar in Steve's house !).
It's the same for me : when I walk in Paris, I do not really see all the monuments (you know, little things like the Tour Eiffel or Notre Dame cathedral ..), but it seems that a lot of people are coming from far away just to see all these little things ...

Very happy that Kestrou found it !

pentaspan

... I'm quite sure there are a lot of guitar in Steve's house !...
that's what I was thinking. Who knows how many Morse models are hanging around Steve's residence (and maybe even Kevin's). The guy's been getting free MMSM guitars since 1986 or so. There could be several "one-offs" that we don't know about, so letting one go is just a drop in the bucket to them. The gold one just happens to be very unique looking, imo.

MJM

...thats a great story and a great score!! Congrats and thanks for sharing! Very cool that you ended up with it!

JasonT

Congrats kestrou on a great score! I've always loved the true gold/rosewood combo.

Fontanz

WOW!!! What a deal, Kevin! Congrats from the bottom of my heart!

I saw it on ebay a little too late when the auction had been closed yet. I couldn't believe my eyes and my first thought was this could be the same guitar Steve was playing on the anniversary tour with Luke and Sterling. I also knew that his son must have been the next after Steve to call it his own.
Be sure that I envy you very much! If you ever want to sell it, think about me. I'm sure it would fit perfectly into my guitar family... :)

guitars.jpg

kestrou

WOW!!! What a deal, Kevin! Congrats from the bottom of my heart!

I saw it on ebay a little too late when the auction had been closed yet. I couldn't believe my eyes and my first thought was this could be the same guitar Steve was playing on the anniversary tour with Luke and Sterling. I also knew that his son must have been the next after Steve to call it his own.
Be sure that I envy you very much! If you ever want to sell it, think about me. I'm sure it would fit perfectly into my guitar family... :)

View attachment 26314

Fontanz,

You can't post a pic with a Morsified Franken-Tele in it and no details - so spill'em, because I've contemplated building one myself! :)

If you've detailed it another thread, then let me know - but gotta have more info on that one!

Kevin

kestrou

Settle down boys - there's enough to go around! :p

"Everybody gets somethin' to eat at MY dinner table!" - B. B. King

Kevin

Fontanz

Fontanz,

You can't post a pic with a Morsified Franken-Tele in it and no details - so spill'em, because I've contemplated building one myself! :)

If you've detailed it another thread, then let me know - but gotta have more info on that one!

Kevin

The Frankentele is a replica built my Mike J. Ripley (Jackal Guitars). I bought it on ebay from an actor who lives in L.A. I even had the oppotunity to show Steve the guitar and his tech Tommy Alderson...

https://www.facebook.com/wolfgang.b...457952980929483.102983.100001443562406&type=3

Top Bottom