• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

racerx

Congrats, excellent score. There is a mighty fancy Ray in there with block inlays that is giving me a moment of crisis presently.

racerx

Very nice. That pickguard is very classy. IMHO, it might be begging for something trashy.
We'll see. I dig the more understated look, but I might end up putting something wacky on it. The Mystic Dream finish might look a lot different in person and might inspire something else. My girlfriend had a custom guard made for my guitar Ray - maybe something in this style with a complimentary color palette:

IMG_2333.jpg

That’s a great catch! I had it in my cart but was in the fence. It is easily the nicest SR4 I’ve seen in a long time. Enjoy it!
I sat on it for awhile too. It actually disappeared for a week or two and I was bummed I missed it. When I saw it come back, I decided to pull the trigger. I have another Ray in a purple sparkle finish that I will most likely let go to offset the cost of this new one. I was big on the flashy/loud finishes for awhile, but prefer something a little more subtle with the gigs I'm doing lately.

Should be here Tuesday and I'll post plenty of pics!

racerx

Just got the Mystic Dream Ray in:

IMG_2337.jpg IMG_2338.jpg IMG_2339.jpg

Super early first impressions in no particular order:

* It is lighter than expected, it feels 0.5-1lb lighter than my other Ray.
* The color is fantastic as Mystic Dream usually is. From a small distance it looks black, but it changes drastically depending on lighting and angle.
* I was pleasantly surprised by the satin neck finish -- the stock photos made it look like a high-gloss. The neck feels great.
* I was also pleased with the binding/fretboard edge radius -- while it is sharper than a rolled edge feel, the binding is very smooth and level with the board (I recently played a brand new "premium" guitar with obnoxiously sharp binding). The neck width feels slightly wider than a more traditional Ray but is still very comfortable in the hand.
* Balance, out of box setup, overall fit, and finish is A+++ as expected
* The new mono case is great and I'm also pleasantly surprised by the size. Other folks feedback had me fearing that the case would be the size of a small car.
* Haven't plugged it in yet but I suspect it will sound like a Ray should

midopa

Very nice Bongo! I've been rotating through my Stingray, Joe Dart 2, and Bongo lately and I swear the Bongo just feels like home to me. It's super comfortable and plays so nicely. I hope some new colors come out. Or maybe I should try the new Stingrays, since the body contours were tweaked for better comfort.

WhtMtnGrv

Just got the Mystic Dream Ray in:

View attachment 41989 View attachment 41990 View attachment 41991

Super early first impressions in no particular order:

* It is lighter than expected, it feels 0.5-1lb lighter than my other Ray.
* The color is fantastic as Mystic Dream usually is. From a small distance it looks black, but it changes drastically depending on lighting and angle.
* I was pleasantly surprised by the satin neck finish -- the stock photos made it look like a high-gloss. The neck feels great.
* I was also pleased with the binding/fretboard edge radius -- while it is sharper than a rolled edge feel, the binding is very smooth and level with the board (I recently played a brand new "premium" guitar with obnoxiously sharp binding). The neck width feels slightly wider than a more traditional Ray but is still very comfortable in the hand.
* Balance, out of box setup, overall fit, and finish is A+++ as expected
* The new mono case is great and I'm also pleasantly surprised by the size. Other folks feedback had me fearing that the case would be the size of a small car.
* Haven't plugged it in yet but I suspect it will sound like a Ray should
Good heavens- That finish is FIRE. I had refinished a bass of mine in something similar years ago. Absolutely love the blue/purple color changing paint.

Top Bottom