• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danny-79

W
Just got the Mystic Dream Ray in:

View attachment 41989 View attachment 41990 View attachment 41991

Super early first impressions in no particular order:

* It is lighter than expected, it feels 0.5-1lb lighter than my other Ray.
* The color is fantastic as Mystic Dream usually is. From a small distance it looks black, but it changes drastically depending on lighting and angle.
* I was pleasantly surprised by the satin neck finish -- the stock photos made it look like a high-gloss. The neck feels great.
* I was also pleased with the binding/fretboard edge radius -- while it is sharper than a rolled edge feel, the binding is very smooth and level with the board (I recently played a brand new "premium" guitar with obnoxiously sharp binding). The neck width feels slightly wider than a more traditional Ray but is still very comfortable in the hand.
* Balance, out of box setup, overall fit, and finish is A+++ as expected
* The new mono case is great and I'm also pleasantly surprised by the size. Other folks feedback had me fearing that the case would be the size of a small car.
* Haven't plugged it in yet but I suspect it will sound like a Ray should

wow. That is stunning. Block inlays , flip paint and gold hardware.
I hope it sounds and plays as good as it looks.
Nice one

racerx

W

wow. That is stunning. Block inlays , flip paint and gold hardware.
I hope it sounds and plays as good as it looks.
Nice one
Thanks Danny -- I've been playing the hell out of it. A subtle perk that I didn't cover in the original post is the fretwork. The relief is set near dead straight and I can get the action freaky low without string buzz (with the stock 45-100s). Its been an absolute joy to play and sounds thunderous. I have an '01 Ray to compare it to, both sound great, but the newer style pickup and 18v add nice additional clarity.

danny-79

Thanks Danny -- I've been playing the hell out of it. A subtle perk that I didn't cover in the original post is the fretwork. The relief is set near dead straight and I can get the action freaky low without string buzz (with the stock 45-100s). Its been an absolute joy to play and sounds thunderous. I have an '01 Ray to compare it to, both sound great, but the newer style pickup and 18v add nice additional clarity.
I’ve stolen a coupe of your photos to show a friend (I hope that’s ok) who asked the question “who’s got GAS for what at the moment” stupidly I said Nothing at the min I’m quite happy with my lot……..
Beautiful looking bass, enjoy it well.
Cheers

Top Bottom