• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Big Poppa

I like blue too!.

In order to innovate and try new things we have to cycle out slower or non sellers....on the r and d project lest are 16 new instruments and we cant introduce them because we cant make them

Big Poppa

OK here it is on the Luke 2. From AJ in customer service. Tough to get beat up over a guitar that we cancelled that not a soul on the planet wanted or bought in 18 months.

"The Luke 3 really put the Luke 2 out of business. We did 5 total last year, no blueberry quilt.

There's nothing coming through the pipeline at all. The last time we shipped any Blueberry Luke 2 was 2016. One to Willcutt Guitars (they don't have it) and one to Music Info in Poland. "

TripHazard

I like blue too!.

In order to innovate and try new things we have to cycle out slower or non sellers....on the r and d project lest are 16 new instruments and we cant introduce them because we cant make them

Is that because they need a different manufacturing setup? or is it because if the back orders for the current catalogue?
These insights are great btw.

TripHazard

I’m not surprised - I back to backed a Luke and a luke 3 recently and I would have bought the luke 3 if I was buying. Nothing wrong with the luke really, just the 3 has something more

Alistair Taylor

I'm the opposite. Had both and much prefer the Luke 2. The EMGs were part of Luke's sound through the years I grew up loving his playing, through the Valley Arts years and into the Luke 1 and 2. They cut through the grease far more potently than the Transitions. Guess it's the second hand market now! Or go back to my hunt for a Valley Arts Lukather but those are like gold dust. Been looking for one for 20 years now!

Eilif

Agreed re. EMG being a huge part of Luke's sound for literally decades, at least since c. 1980. I can hear them on the "Turn Back" album from 1981, and they've been on every Toto album ever since until recently.

I have a love/hate relationship with active pickups, and although the Luke 2 was my first guitar, I don't have one now and would likely also choose the Luke 3 over one with EMGs (sorry, Keith!).

Having said that, if I wanted the EMGs, I think a Silhouette Special with the EMG SLV/SLV/85 set would be the next best thing to the Luke 2. For me, it would be better, as I much prefer the Silhouette neck to the Luke neck. Maybe one day I'll go this route.

As for blue, I love it! I'd get all my guitars in Pacific Blue Burst if I could, and Neptune Blue was just impossible to resist. My first EBMM was Blue Pearl. I guess I'm in the minority.

Mattekarnaa

Sorry but I think I had one customer that was interested in a Luke 2 after LIII came out.
The success with LIII is huge and people who still likes the old Lukather sound is free to mount EMGs on there LIII.
It’s a really few people that is buying EMGs at all now.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

tbonesullivan

I think the Luke (2) has a slightly smaller body than the Luke III.
Luke 2: 12-3/16" wide, 1-3/4" thick, 36-7/16" long (31.0 cm wide, 4.5 cm thick, 92.6 cm long)
Luke III: 12-1/2" wide, 1-3/4" thick, 36-15/16" long (31.75 cm wide, 4.5 cm thick, 93.8 cm long)

Making both at the same time is not just as simple as changing electronics sadly. If it was, it would have not been as much as an issue. But, money talks, and the Luke III harpooned the Luke 2. Steve Lukather moved on from the Luke 1, and now he's moved on from the Luke 2.

It's an artist guitar, and the artist's tastes can change over the years. Look at how many JP model guitars there have been, and how many incremental changes have been made to the original JP model since it first came out.

beamer128

Not that I'm anybody, but I must say this is one of the best threads I've read here! Seeing folks come together and being helpful as possible. Sterling, I've seen posts from you from time to time, and I'm sure you get frustrated with some of the posts. I must admit that your posts in this thread have been insightful, transparent as you can be, and most of all helpful!!! I hope that Kinjin finds his Pinkburst Albert Lee. I hope to add one to my collection as I love Purple and Pink translucent guitars. I have my sights set on a Pink EBMM that is elsewhere. I hope the tax return arrives in time. Take care all......

johnnyboogie

Not that I'm anybody, but I must say this is one of the best threads I've read here! Seeing folks come together and being helpful as possible. Sterling, I've seen posts from you from time to time, and I'm sure you get frustrated with some of the posts. I must admit that your posts in this thread have been insightful, transparent as you can be, and most of all helpful!!! I hope that Kinjin finds his Pinkburst Albert Lee. I hope to add one to my collection as I love Purple and Pink translucent guitars. I have my sights set on a Pink EBMM that is elsewhere. I hope the tax return arrives in time. Take care all......

+1!!

Pott

I'd like to call out the fact that the CEO of a commercial company just gave us sales info, on a forum, to explain business strategy.
That is something I've never seen before. Thanks BP. Perspective is always useful, especially at this level.

kimonostereo

@JayDawg did you get a chance to call Dan's Guitars? Checked again today and that Reflex Game Changer is still hanging there.

JayDawg

@JayDawg did you get a chance to call Dan's Guitars? Checked again today and that Reflex Game Changer is still hanging there.

Not yet. Work has been crazy and I am also opening my own guitar store. I’m thinking with the 3 I want, the best bet will be used. I love the Game Changers but if the app no longer works or will be updated, then I can’t really do with the guitar what I want to do. With all of the price increases, it’s going to also be a little more difficult for me to now buy new. I understand the companies reasons because the Governor in California is making it almost impossible for businesses to survive out there but hopefully, I can have success with my music store opening up and that will allow me to also purchase more EBMM guitars and basses for my personal stuff and also hopefully buy in as an EBMM dealer too. To help the EBMM brand grow is really the whole reason why I want to get my store opened. I have a passion for the company and want to do whatever I can to get for EBMM guitars and basses into more peoples hands.

Last edited:

Clams

Just to let everyone know. I'm a longtime EBMM player. Bought my Sterling fretless in 1994 -- amazing axe. I have wanted an Albert Lee Tremolo in pinkburst for years. Finally I had the coin to do it. But I couldn't find one anywhere! I called EBMM customer service back in January, asking about inventory because none of the usual shops had the AL in stock. They got back to me a couple days later. The last two pinkburst ALs were due to ship out, first one to Missouri and the second to Indiana a couple weeks after. I called the Indiana shop and reserved it. It is on the way to me now. So I think I got the last pinkburst AL until they start that color run again. Point is, call or email EBMM customer service. They DO come through.

Top Bottom