• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dwells

I love it. I'm all for different, I've been playing metal on guitars that arñt really even aimed at the metal player but music man just are better in my opinion.
That black armada is incredible, it's really unique and that's what's appealing to me.
It almost comes across as a boutique metal guitar because of its shape(if there is such a thing) hahah
Bad ass guitar.

BUC

Somehow the look of the Armada was sweet from the beginning. The black one at looks AMAZING.

However, right now it has this feel of an art piece more than an instrument. I haven't actually seen anyone PLAYING one. But like a Ferrari, it looks great standing still.

Like most guitar players I'm thinking,"put that thing in some capable hands and lets see what she can do!"

Is anyone demo-ing the instrument at NAMM? Can we get some vid of that?

But to me, it's a beautiful looking design. Loved the lines from the first time I saw it.

Tollywood

Thanks for the insight, BP. I'm sure the Armada will do quite well. To me, it has a timeless look to it. Makes me think of the back end of a '57 Chevy. I like it.

threeminutesboy

yeah was on the fence too but now I find it fantastic. As for the volume and tone position as Francois mentioned I'm using a pedal for volume swell so I'm not too concerned but I understand it might be an issue for some people. Looking forward for some more detailed specs and videos.

on the picture looks great!!!

kimonostereo

Good design is good design.

I still remember loving the EBMM 4+2 headstock and thinking that I wish all headstocks were like that. I also remember not liking the Albert Lee design when it first came out. Now, I'd take an Al over just about any strat.

mtrejo

Ok. Got a chance to play the Armada. Man, I cannot express how beautiful this thing is in person. From the second I picked one up, I was struck by the feel in hand. I spent about 15 minutes noodling around with one plugged into the amp station. The tone is seriously incredible. The neck pickup is very woody and clear yet warm, not muddy in the least. The bridge pickup has some very nice growl to it. Both together produced a very fat tone.

I will definitely put in an order for one.
Check out the headstock logo. It's inlaid.
This guitar ooooooozes quality all the way! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359059834.428040.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359059849.200894.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359059917.184470.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359059934.300461.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359059877.567254.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359059877.567254.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 330

Warg Master

I can't wait to try one and THEN decide if I like it!! I'm sure I will.... *opens wallet* *sigh*

GoKart_MoZart

I can't wait to try one and THEN decide if I like it...

Same here. It is different from a "standard" guitar design, for sure, so comments are going to be all over the map. I guess that's what makes it "disruptive" design. Personally, I like the look in the photos, especially when not looking at it straight on. Very nice curves.

But I've got to wait until I get a chance to play it before deciding if I like it or not. I've said this before, but I was not a fan of the AL until I played one. Now I own two.

Metalcat

Daring design meets classic design...the Armada is certainly growing on me, especially with the new finishes!

Sweat

Always liked it and thought cool but seeing the finished product and my fav color the nat/red now think it is better final test play one:)

koogie2k

I always like bold changes in the music world. The bongo was one for sure and obviously I love it. The Armada is another one. I just have to play it to see if it "feels" right for me or not. Look wise I think it is sleek, sexy, a bit imposing, and demanding to be played.

mesavox

I just read the OP and replied before reading so that my reply is as honest as possible without seeing what other people have said.

I'll start off by saying that I've always been a metal kind of guy and dug pointy guitars a la what I call the Soloist ilk. I guess I'd say I'm kind of a super strat guy. I've always loved Les Pauls, but not as much as an RG. The first time I saw a Silo back in the Floyd days...sooo coool.

Over time, I found myself liking the look of guitars I used to find ugly. Gretcshes, Ricks, Teles, SGs, even the EVH/Axis was once a guitar I was like.. .HUH? and have grown to love.

That being said, MM has always filled the shoes of the connections to Leo Fender in a lot of its designs. Bolt on necks. A lot of strat and tele influence. Within that, guitars like the Albert Lee models pulled, stretched, tweaked, bent, and otherwise distorted the start heritage to its limits. I don't think there was a forum in those days, but if there was, I bet people would have pooped strat shaped bricks. LOL Now, it is a staple of MM design, and one if the company's most original and exciting designs.

I wouldn't say that the Armada is my type of guitar for a main guitar. I'm just a 24 fret super strat kinda guy. With that, my first response to seeing it was... "Wow that is striking!" It seems a great way to enter the Les Paul/PRS type of market with something that doesn't look just like everything else (what a better way to never stand out from the crowd than to build yet another PRS copy huh? LOL).

It will be cool to see people actually playing it. It seems a bit long, but without the context of being in playing position, it could seem a lot of things. I'm guessing that the body is a lot smaller than it seems in photos because of how wide the neck looks. So, I'm betting it is super striking in person. My eye also tends to want the v part to be pointing the other way, which is good because it makes you want to keep looking at it. It never seems ugly, just challenging. Its like the first time I saw the new Chrysler 300s... at first I was like... oh my... I can't figure this out.. um... what does it do? Now, I thin it is one of the best American car designs in history. No wonder the redesign last year had only subtle changes.

I can see me buying one of these. Especially if it has any similarities to an LP in sound. I know it has to play better than any LP, is probably more comfortable, and hey... Joe Bonamassa has one less excuse to stick around at that other company now. LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist.

dibart77

This is a very interesting point. I remember when EBMM introduced the EVH back in '91. My first reaction was negative. The body shape was odd to me and I didn't like it. It grew on me and I ordered my first EVH in '92. Now I have 39 Axis's and 7 EVH's. I agree BP, it's the ones that initially strike you as odd, different, that you fall in love with.

I am also a huge Lamborghini fan (no, I do own any Lamborghinis) -- and every time they come out with a new model I go "Ugh?!?" at first and then it grows on me and I fall in love. Happened with the Murcielago, and most recently happened with the Aventador.

It's an interesting phenomenon...

I look through Premier Guitar magazine and I am literally yawning at all these ads. You have boutique guys building $2700 custom guitars and they are LITERALLY Str@t or JEM knockoffs. Why the hell would you do that and who the hell would spend $2700 on a Str@t or JEM knockoff!?!?

What's most important is to break out of the stale stagnant bull**** that is the guitar industry and keep moving forward. That's what EBMM does! And it's because Scotty and Dudley are ENCOURAGED to explore new ideas and ENCOURAGED by Sterling to pursue those ideas.

I was pleasantly surprised that virtually EVERY POST in the Some Sneak Peeks NAMM 2013 thread are people saying "The Armada didn't originally do it for me but that black/transblack is amazing! I'm sold. Here is my credit card!"

Good stuff!

-J

Last edited:

jvh

I have to admit the guitar looks good. It seems to take a different look when someone is actually holding the guitar. If I didn't already have an order for an axis(due February) I'd probably order one. I know I will get the majesty so I'm pretty much out of luck on this guitar, but so far looks like a winner. Can't beat the stainless steel frets and the compensated nut. I'm really interested in the pickup... I could see this guitar with a single coil in the future!

joe web

as i first saw the Armada last year at Musik Messe Frankfurt, i didn´t like the design of the guitar, but yesterday with the picture of the black one i totally changed my mind!
great idea and the black one is so classic looking - love it.

Spudmurphy

The fact that BP handed the reins to Scotty and Dudley with no involvement on his part, and the fact that peoples perceptions seem to change when they see se the different colours is to be applauded. Whether I like it or not is not conclusive enough at the moment until I see one in the flesh (I'm sure that Knighton Guitars will get one, or maybe there will be a presence at the next UK show?)With the order books now open thepublic will vote with their wallets. We need to see the product out there with world wide coverage. - with that in mind I hope the Armarda soon "sets sail" and finds itself in these waters. So splice the mainbrace and swab the forecastle.

Top Bottom