• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Taking the thread in a different direction today, this is NOT an EBMM product, but it is however part of the EBMM legacy. Earthwood basses have been highly sought after due to their relative rarity and deep resonant sound. Here we have a gen 2, Dan Norton refined the original design that was made by Ernie and George Fullerton, late of Fender. The Gen 2 features a narrower body, improved bridge and binding, and does not come equipped with a pick/tap guard.

Michael Murphy

Taking the thread in a different direction today, this is NOT an EBMM product, but it is however part of the EBMM legacy. Earthwood basses have been highly sought after due to their relative rarity and deep resonant sound. Here we have a gen 2, Dan Norton refined the original design that was made by Ernie and George Fullerton, late of Fender. The Gen 2 features a narrower body, improved bridge and binding, and does not come equipped with a pick/tap guard.

Thanks, Casey!

I have one exactly like that, except no neck or headstock binding. And a lot more wear. (And someone replaced the wood trussrod cover with black plastic.)

So are *all* the ones with the narrower/shallower body and no pickguard gen 2? Someone sprayed the entire inside of mine with some kind of pink textured coating, presumably to dampen resonance, so the label and serial # are unreadable. I have no idea what vintage it is.

I also have a 6-string Earthwood guitar, #574, supposedly from '72. That one has all the binding and a dark wood pickguard.

bovinehost

Administrator
Aren't there also a few ukeleles around somewhere? I seem to recall Sterling serenading me with one in the office. But that could have been some sort of flashback.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Aren't there also a few ukeleles around somewhere? I seem to recall Sterling serenading me with one in the office. But that could have been some sort of flashback.

Earthwood ukes? Maybe, but I've never seen one. Bass uke, on the other hand, Sterling does have in his office.

bovinehost

Administrator
I could be misremembering because it was a long time ago - 2005? - but it SEEMS like Sterling told me that Dan built a few ukeleles with Earthwood badges for the kids. If I'm wrong, I'll delete these posts. If I'm right, I'd bet people would like to see an example.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
I could be misremembering because it was a long time ago - 2005? - but it SEEMS like Sterling told me that Dan built a few ukeleles with Earthwood badges for the kids. If I'm wrong, I'll delete these posts. If I'm right, I'd bet people would like to see an example.

I bet you that is correct, Dan would build a skyscraper in his offtime if he had the materials.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
This one is a day after the update to the guitar thread because I was not able to get good outdoor lighting conditions for this shot. This will be the last Cutlass bass in this thread for a while, I promise.

This is actually my Cutlass that I've had for about three months, it's white on white with a roasted maple neck and ebony fingerboard.

A closer look at the roasted maple.

8ball67

Man, I wish I could get a HH5 model of that 6 string natural wood one in the begining with a light coat of lacquer. I love my HH5 in Cherry Red, but I'd love to get this!

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
How is this not full of posts?
I got an email about the vault having instruments, wow I'm ready to spend some money!

Top Bottom