• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

St_G

Just noticed this today, after EBMM tweeting out a link:

The St. Vincent signature guitar features a lightweight Okoume body, premium roasted maple neck with rosewood, ebony or maple fretboard. The roasted maple neck is highly figured and is adorned with St. Vincent signature custom inlays. Specially configured electronics package includes 3 Dimarzio mini-humbuckers with 5-way pickup selector for a unique offering of tonal options.

First mention I recall seeing of the St. Vincent switching to an Okoume body* or having an all-roasted maple neck and fretboard.

*-My 2016 STV balances fine, but is on the heavier side of things (closer to 8lbs than 7 1/2) so I do worry a *little* about how going to a lighter body might affect things on a model that people often say suffers from neck dive.

tbonesullivan

I'm pretty sure that they have had roasted maple necks for a while now. The pictures up are from last year, and they all show a maple neck.

The bodies I believe have always been "African Mahogany" or "Okoume".

St_G

Khaya is African Mahogany. Okoume is wayyy lighter. Check out a Mariposa.

And the St Vincent definitely hasn't had maple *fretboards* before.

I'm pretty sure that they have had roasted maple necks for a while now. The pictures up are from last year, and they all show a maple neck.

The bodies I believe have always been "African Mahogany" or "Okoume".

tbonesullivan

Last edited:

St_G

First I've heard of that, and your link seems to be busted, but I'll take your word for it.

It does make me wonder why the Mariposas are so crazy light, though.

If nothing else, this is still updated copy, because that page used to call it "African Mahogany." And, again, because of the explicit mention of maple fretboards.

"African Mahogany" is a trade name, as there is no such thing as an African species of true Mahogany. Like Suhr, EBMM used to call Okoume African Mahogany. They have confirmed this many times, even on this very board.

forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-mus...rences.html?highlight=african+mahogany+okoume

tbonesullivan

First I've heard of that, and your link seems to be busted, but I'll take your word for it.

It does make me wonder why the Mariposas are so crazy light, though.

If nothing else, this is still updated copy, because that page used to call it "African Mahogany." And, again, because of the explicit mention of maple fretboards.

Weird. Works for me. The maple fretboard definitely is a new one, but the maple necks aren't. I guess we'll see what they put out later in 2021.

forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/69559-albert-lee-hh-okoume-body-differences.html

GWDavis28

166152435_203080998242036_2375893619423640657_n.jpg

Looks like gold, red and maybe dark blue or purple?

Glenn |B)

St_G

Came here to post that pic. Dig the new pickguard shape!

Last edited:

TripHazard

New one looks killer. Gold looks a bit like my BFR which is trans gold
EDIT now I see it on a big screen it looks more like full on gold rather than a trans finish

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Oh yah good eyes, I totally missed that. I would think if she's showing pics that something might drop/get updated soon.

Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

Oooo. Those look nice. Has anyone ever confirmed what the inside of the pickups are constructed like? Are they firebird style pickups with bar magnets inside coils, or are they just covered narrow PAF style pickups?

Those are definitely some nice colors.

St_G

They're regular minibuckers and, imo, offer remarkably little variety for a three-pickup guitar. Paired with the 250k pots, you've got in instrument that can be a little dull at lower gain (unless you eq the living crap out of it), but holds together EXTREMELY well under gobs of distortion. I've yet to find a setting that can overpower the string-to-string separation or introduce grating, harsh frequencies that jump out. Everything is very controlled and that's really the only reason I've kept mine totally stock. I'd be mighty interested to add another one and swap in some brighter pups (or just 500k pots).

Oooo. Those look nice. Has anyone ever confirmed what the inside of the pickups are constructed like? Are they firebird style pickups with bar magnets inside coils, or are they just covered narrow PAF style pickups?

Those are definitely some nice colors.

Last edited:

dibart77

Happy to say goodbye to that nurses cap pickguard! I have always wanted a St.V without the pickguard. I wonder if there's still a big route under the pickguard -- because I would remove it.

GWDavis28

Happy to say goodbye to that nurses cap pickguard! I have always wanted a St.V without the pickguard. I wonder if there's still a big route under the pickguard -- because I would remove it.

Hahahahahahaha, that's a great way of putting it Jeff. Only time will tell, maybe Dargin can share when it finally drops.

Glenn |B)

GWDavis28

Someone just commented and it was something else I missed, they have reverse head stocks 2 over 4 :O.

Glenn |B)

St_G

Yep. The near-symmetry of the EBMM headstock means it's only a small variation, but It's a cool variation, imo. I think one would look great hanging on my wall, right next to my og Vincent Blue.

Someone just commented and it was something else I missed, they have reverse head stocks 2 over 4 :O.

Glenn |B)

Last edited:

jayjayjay

Glenn |B)

EBMM reposted the pic on Twitter earlier today, and I noticed it then - the reversed headstock. Looks like they put a left-handed neck on a right-handed body.

Top Bottom