• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

backagain1

Does anyone who has a 5-string bass have a rig with a single 2-10" cabinet that has a big enough sound to go alone? Or do I need to go with a 4-10"?

Thanks!

backagain1

five7

I have an ampeg portabass 2-12 that works fine on its own. With a markbass f1, very nice.

lorino

2x10

I don't have a 5 string, and its not 2x10, but this serves me quite well: Mesa/Boogie M6 Carbine Bass Amplifier

I have the combo, but you can buy the head and a 2x10 - combo is a bit heavy, but what the heck. I actually have this as the "Fathom" - it was introduced with that name, then they were sued by a non-music company for the name and they renamed the series the Carbine.

Anyhow, it more than stands on its own - especially with my Radiant Red Bongo 4 HS.

JIM

bradfordws

You need two 210 cabs. I've been using this setup for around 15 years. I used to hate having to lift my 410 cab - they're like 80 to 90#! If you have a 610 or 810, you can tilt them back on the wheels, but then again - heavy! I had one of those Acoustic 215 cabs back in the early 80s with the two casters on the back. I've downsized quite a bit since then - and the pair of 210 cabs has been great ever since. Here's the cool thing - some gigs you can get away with one cab - then, for bigger gigs - take both. They are way lighter and easier on your back. Just get a fold-up dolly and you're all set. Two more cool things - you can stack them vertically and take up a lot less space on a small stage - all you need is a micro head of some sort - there are many on the market now as we all know. The last point is that you can aim the lower cab at your drummer and the top cabinet straight out for those situations when the drummer needs more bass. Another option - get a 210 and a 115 - makes a nice combo - 210 for small gigs - both for larger.

bob atherton

For the last five years I have used two Ashdown ABM 2x10 cabs with an Ashdown ABM 500 head. I too use just one cab, on its end, for small gigs, rehearsals and recordings. For bigger gigs I use both. This has worked very well.

I have just swithed amp to Markbass LMIII, this is now even better.

Movielife

Try the new TC Electronic RS210s. Fantastic sound, sweet high end, small, pretty light for ceramic, and loud!

Two would be awesome, but you may get away with one occasionally.

Grand Wazoo

Yup!

These bad boys rocks in perfect harmony

DSC03172.jpg

DSC03170.jpg

dmarotta

I have a Markbass 210 Traveller with an F1 amp. Great sound with a five string and super light but....
It really depends on the size of the venue , band and sound levels you hope to attain. A single 210 from any manufacturer will only go so far. Having an extra 210 cab gives you the flexibility to cover most gigs

T Alan

I ran, for years, a GK400RB atop a 4 ohm Peavey 210TX with my rock cover band. It worked as long as
a. I set it up on a amp stand; tilted a bit towards my head, and
b. didn't cut mids or boost lows.

p5string

I have an SR5 & a Pedulla ET5. I play them through an Eden Wt550 and an 210 xst cab for probably 75% of my gigs. I can't tell you how many times I've had to turn down with just the one cab. For larger gigs I use two 210 xst cabs.

Mabongohogany

One of my rigs is a Genz-Benz Neox 210 powered by a Tec-Amp Puma 500.

Very dynamic neo drivers in the 4-ohm cab driven by 500 watts; it's
plenty loud with lots of headroom, even without FOH.

Rick Auricchio

It's all relative. I play lots of gigs where a 210 would be overkill.

It all depends on how loud your band is, and nobody else can know that without actually being there.

Also, every rig has a different tone. You can find plenty of loud rigs that don't sound good to you. What good are they?

It's like asking "Is 110 horsepower enough?" It all depends what your driving needs are. If your car muddles along in slow traffic, it's plenty. If you're hauling a trailer with a ton of rocks, then you need more.

DTG

Yeah bradfordws nailed it I am sorry I didnt get 2x 210 cabs when I got my mark bass rig.but I was playing bigger gigs then.for the big gigs I have 2 lm2 heads and a 410 and a 115 cabs 1000 watts of mark bass glory ! And for 99% of the gigs I use just the 115

Grand Wazoo

Is that a 102P combo that you pulled the LMII/III head from and replaced with an LM Tube? If so, how easy was the change? I've thought about doing something similar with my 102P combo.

Thanks!

Yes that is the one. Although it was the official MB distributor that did the swap for me, because I didn't want to void the warranty by opening the amp, it's all a very easy task as they are all compatible for retrofitting with all the Mark Bass combo's which use the Little Mark head I, II or III models, basically you must remove the top cover from the new head, keep that by one side as you will need it later, unscrew the old head from the combo enclosure, pull it out, slide the new one in and fit the top cover from the new one onto the one you've just pulled out of the amp. Screw in the new head inside the combo cabinet and that's all you need to do. Easy as a,b,c.

five7

Yes that is the one. Although it was the official MB distributor that did the swap for me, because I didn't want to void the warranty by opening the amp, it's all a very easy task as they are all compatible for retrofitting with all the Mark Bass combo's which use the Little Mark head I, II or III models, basically you must remove the top cover from the new head, keep that by one side as you will need it later, unscrew the old head from the combo enclosure, pull it out, slide the new one in and fit the top cover from the new one onto the one you've just pulled out of the amp. Screw in the new head inside the combo cabinet and that's all you need to do. Easy as a,b,c.

This is the coolest 2-10 setup without a doubt!

Aussie Mark

I've done probably 100 bar gigs with just a 210 cab, fed with enough wattage as needed. A quality 210 cab that can handle at least 500 watts can serve you very well in many different situations. (Caveat: I don't play fivers).

That said, I have 3 x 210 cabs, which allows me to mix and match when needed, depending on the size of the venue, stage size, extent of PA support, audience size etc.

Top Bottom