• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

spkirby

axissport.jpg

Ignore the light fixture reflection! This thing plays itself! :)

Coffeemug

Took a couple pics of mine yesterday...

DSC08736.jpg

DSC08718.jpg

DSC08746.jpg

DSC08739.jpg

...and they don't do any justice to the color, which came out really "flat" in the shots!

I wondered if I should install a pickguard but am a bit reluctant because I'd have to drill holes and then probably like it better without the pg...

Last edited:

Barny

I really wish I had a working camera so I could join in.

Quite a while back I bought a ASS from SPkirby and during our conversation when I picked up the guitar he told me how good these Axis sports were and I have been on the lookout for one ever since. Finally about a month or so ago I was lucky enough to win one on ebay for an absolute steal (not sure if its ok to post used prices so please delete if needed) £500. I cannot say enough good things about the guitar, totally underrated (luckily for those who appreciate them) and sounds amazing.

I honestly felt guilty for winning it for so little!

Steve, if you ever want to offload that SSS let me know!

Coffeemug

I cannot say enough good things about the guitar, totally underrated (luckily for those who appreciate them) and sounds amazing.

I honestly felt guilty for winning it for so little!

That's exactly what this thread is about...I got mine for such a great price I couldn't believe it! I know how much it meant to the previous owner who was not letting it go lightheartedly and I have to admit I felt a little guilty, too.

So, if there's something about them that holds people from buying them I have yet to find out...it really is every bit as awesome as every other EBMM I ever got my hands on and can be had in pickup configurations that are unique in the Axis line!
For me, the HSS is just perfect as it's the only model in the EBMM range that combines this configuration with an ash body...and I LOVE ash bodies!!!

threeminutesboy

Congrats Patrick that's a beauty. As for the pickguard you double tape it, i remember someone did that with an Ass mm90 was looking great. But don't drill holes those guitars are yet to become vintage guitars with high values ;)

Btw wait for my 5k post I have something cooking ;)

Coffeemug

As for the pickguard you double tape it, i remember someone did that with an Ass mm90 was looking great. But don't drill holes those guitars are yet to become vintage guitars with high values ;)

Btw wait for my 5k post I have something cooking ;)

David, that's a GREAT idea, never thought of it...I could have one made without the screw holes!

As for your 5K post...I might have an idea what to expect ;)

Ya finally got yourself an Axis. Now you know what I’ve been talking about.

Yeah, I was about time Jeff...you know I'm more of a singlecoil guy so this one just fits perfectly.
But as everything comes at a price I'm now gassing for a MM90 Super Sport...;)

Sticky1973

I owned an Axis Sport for a little while; bought from a forumite, and sold on to a forumite.

Great guitar, these MM90s in the right hands would have been wonderful, I was chasing a full HB metal monster at the time. This Pearl Blue Sport got me totally into the Axis body shape, and neck profile.

In fact, my fave EBMM neck is a rather nice maple Sport neck (to make a reappearance very soon).

axis-sport-pearl-blue-12147.jpg

Jamie M

My friend who has been playing for 20 years tried my ASS over the weekend. He was blown away and tried to give me a Les Paul for it, i said no way. Then he offered me his Ibanez and again no way. He offered me just about every item in his house to get his hands on the Axis. He has no been converted and we are looking for one so he can join the gang. Under-rated but fantastic guitars

Ming

I'd like to find a good deal on one. They don't crop up often enough around these parts.

Not exactly "these here parts" but one of our dealers in the UK has 3 of the original Sports... one was sold and came back and two are genuine "new..old stock"
john-bootsmusic.co.uk - Solid Electric Guitars
No idea why John can't sell them, they are an absolute steal and worth a trip down to the beautiful New Forest in Hampshire UK

bazxkr

Would anyone please enlighten me on the difference between the sport and the supersport ????

Thanks

Cheers

Baz

luv

Would anyone please enlighten me on the difference between the sport and the supersport ????

Sports have the same finish on sides and back as the front of the guitar. SuperSports have black sides and back and have binding. I believe Sports are Ash bodies and SuperSports are Basswood, but that may depend on the pickups the guitar has. Sports come with chrome locking tuners and SuperSports come with pearloid. Some old Sports have pickguards and have some single coil pickup options. Supersports are HH or MM90 and are all direct mounted to the guitar body.

I think that's it in a nutshell, but you could do a search......has been discussed here many times.

spkirby

Sports were the forerunner of the SuperSport. Sports are similar but visually simpler guitars, all Axis Sports are made from ash whereas the SuperSport is made from basswood with a maple cap, unless it is the MM90 version where it is ash with a maple cap!

Sports dont have binding on the body, the pretty maple tops, nor are the backs painted black and they lack pearloid tuner buttons. Where sports have an edge is in pickup choices as they came in SSS, HSS, HH and MM90 variants. The earlier Sports also had a pickguard....

Sweat

Sports are great little guitars sound way huge, wish I would have stashed one of mine away, not sure why they vanished but probaly like the sub, cost prohibative.

fsmith

I've been looking for one for years and found this one in Guitar Center yesterday. It's exactly what I was looking for except for the matching headstock, I prefer the natural, but couldn't pass this one up. $750 out the door... now I have to track one down with MM90's...

IMG_4276.jpg

Top Bottom