• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

joelb79

I thought it would be nice to give everybody who doesnt own the best bass in the world a listen to the thing recorded at maximum quality.

Bought the sterling in 1997 from a EB Dealer in Lansing, MI. It is a used bass, most likely produced in 1992, however it may be as old as 1980's.

Bass is strung with Elixir Stainless Steel 4 String 100-45 Guage. The pickup is the stock 3 coil. The harmonic melody ws recorded with the pickup in series, bass flat, mids flat, treble flat. The solo was recorded with the pickup in paralell, treble boosted full, mids flat, bass rolled all the way off. Action on the bass is set at 2.5mm.

Recording was done on Sonar 2.0XL in 24bit/96Khz through an Ardvark 4 in - 6 out recording. Cord used was a monster cable 20ft Bass cable. Digital delay was added to the solo to give it a larger feel. No EQing was done durring tracking or mixdown.

Mastering was done in Solar XL with TC Electronics Direct X Plugins.

Computer used for tracking was a Pentium 4 2Ghz with 256MB Ram, and an 80GB Harddrive. The Computer used for mastering was a Celeron 1.2Ghz overclocked to 1.6Ghz with 512MB Ram and a raid-0 Harddrive configuration (160GB Total).

Download the 96-Bit MP3 ---->HERE<-----
Beware that this is a 1.7MB File. However, it should be readily available from my ISP at any time.

Let me know what you think! :D

Last edited:

basscat

Sounds great, not unlike my Stingray 5. Samples of that one can be heard in all of the songs on my web site, www.stefanolsson.tk. Listen to 5-5, the similarities are quite obvious.

Basscat

ebb soul

Do you find the Elixers quiet? They seem to be perhaps on the 'test'. I mean extrainous string noise.

joelb79

ebb soul said:
Do you find the Elixers quiet? They seem to be perhaps on the 'test'. I mean extrainous string noise.

They are actually pretty quite as far as string noise.. I can slide without hearing the fret noise so much.. but then again, i do have a playing style where i try to play as light as possible to keep my fret noise down.

But, i like the elixirs.. Another string that totaly rocks are Swing 66's .. and i have tried some trace elliot strings that TOTALY kicked arse.. but i cant find those anymore :(

joelb79

basscat said:
Sounds great, not unlike my Stingray 5. Samples of that one can be heard in all of the songs on my web site, www.stefanolsson.tk. Listen to 5-5, the similarities are quite obvious.

Basscat

Definatly some very cool stuff man, i can catch alot of victor wooten in that.. Nice to see sombody playing a little bit of jazz on an EB.

I think after hearing your 5 string on tape there, im going with a EB Stingray 5 for my next purchase.

Love that picolo base tho! :)

ebb soul

Thanx, I'm always look'n fer string info. I'd used Trace too and liked 'em. Shame. I know I DO NOT like rotosounds. I tend to like Thomasik-Infeild.

basscat

joelb79 said:
Definatly some very cool stuff man, i can catch alot of victor wooten in that.. Nice to see sombody playing a little bit of jazz on an EB.

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed. I've definitly listened alot to Victor and I've tried to adopt some of his techniqies. My biggest influence over all is Marcus Miller though, which might or might not come across in my playing.

There's nothing about the SR5 that would make it unsuitable for jazz. Enter single coil mode, boost bass and mids slightly and keep treble flat or slightly rolled off and you've got a great jazz sound. Very sensitive to where you pluck the string, very expressive.

Go with an SR5!

Basscat

Top Bottom