• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jlf599

So I have a trade offer for an Axis Sport MM90. I'm waiting on more pics and info but in the meantime, figured I'd ask here how people feel about them. I've generally not been a P90 person but my experience has basically been a couple of Gibsons - an LP Jr and a hollowbody jazz-type guitar. I love the Axis in general but have never played any EBMM with the MM90s.

Any general opinions on them, on the Sport models with them, etc?

Also, it's hard to find lots of pricing on the Sports (not SuperSports) with MM90s. Any ideas of what a good price/value range would be these days?

Thanks!
J

Johnny Alien

I love MM90s and my favorite platform for them is the older Axis Sport model. If you are not a huge fan of P-90s then I am not sure if this would change that or not. A LP Jr. is an amazing P-90 machine and if that doesn't hook you on them I am not sure if anything will. The MM90 is a bit tamer than the standard Gibson P-90. More like a supercharged tele pickup IMO. Prices went bananas on Axis Sports during the pandemic but are coming down and it always seemed to me like the MM90 version was the least desirable version and sold for less. In this market I would say prices on that would range from $1000-$1300 depending on color, condition, etc.

racerx

If you like P90s and you like the Axis feel, then it should be a match made in heaven. P90s are sort of their own bag and I really enjoy them for clean or crunchy tones. Funnily enough they also play well with fuzz if you're into stoner/doom/droney kind of stuff. They wouldn't be my daily driver for any heavier or high-gain playing though. I think the P90s in the Axis hang with any premier/boutique build, they don't leave me wanting for anything but thats in the ear of the beholder.

As for value, too tough to say. Prices are all over the place now and its hard to know what is reality. Probably more than $1k and less than $2k like @Johnny Alien said.

GWDavis28

The MM90's are my favorite of the EBMM pickups. The Axis Sport with MM90's is an awesome combination in my mind. The Sports range and it depends on the market, check reverb and the completed sales it should give you a better idea.

Good luck, I hope it works out. Glenn |B)

Ninemile

My number 1 of 8 nice electrics is my 1999 Sport with MM 90s. I too find them to be kind up suped up Tele pickups, which is what I mainly use them for but I also play a lot of reggae and some distorted ala Sublime and they work great. I could not love the guitar and pickups any more than I do. The swamp ash body is great as well. I have 2 sports and one super sport. I paid $1300 about 4 years ago for it.

alf cockle

My favourite EBMM geetar...mm90s are purrfect for my country blues style....not a shredhead..maybe,and it never happened,the ideal pickup combo with the sport,wooda,cooda been mm90 neck,splittable hb bridge...just sayin....

Top Bottom