• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

lchender

I just bumped up my Axis SS from 9-42 strings to 10-46. I've noticed that the trem floats ever so slightly now, whereas with the 9s it didn't float at all. Should I be adding another trem spring to pin the trem back or should I leave it and let it float slightly? Thanks.

Jimi D

If you like it floating and the action is acceptable, leave it float if you want - it won't hurt anything. The point of having the trem sit on the top of the guitar is to maximize tuning stability and the transfer of vibration from the strings to the body - I wouldn't bother adding an extra spring if I wanted to adjust for .010s, I'd just screw the trem claw a little deeper into the body... which ever you decide, you might want to check your intonation when you're done adjusting your trem...

lchender

Thanks for the advice! I took the guitar to my tech today and he gave it a full setup. He tightened the trem claw so it no longer floats and I can do double stop bends without it pulling the unbent string out of tune. I wanted to change the action anyway and the truss rod and intonation needed tweaking, so it was worth the setup charge. It plays awesome now! :D

Top Bottom