• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

wannarock8

The new BFR Fuego finish Stingray 5H fretless bass has my attention.
Are there any owners here of last year's fretless Stingray 5H in Vintage Sierra Burst? I've listened to a few Youtube demos for those and wasn't blown away by the tone. But one of the demoers said the bass shipped with flat wound strings. I find I get more sustain and "mwah" with half rounds.
Does anyone here have a fretless Stingray 5H in Vintage Sierra Burst with half round strings? Does it mwah and bwow like the bass that Michael Manring played in "After the Gold Rush"? That tone is to die for.

Golem

The new BFR Fuego finish Stingray 5H fretless bass has my attention.
Are there any owners here of last year's fretless Stingray 5H in Vintage Sierra Burst? I've listened to a few Youtube demos for those and wasn't blown away by the tone. But one of the demoers said the bass shipped with flat wound strings. I find I get more sustain and "mwah" with half rounds.
Does anyone here have a fretless Stingray 5H in Vintage Sierra Burst with half round strings? Does it mwah and bwow like the bass that Michael Manring played in "After the Gold Rush"? That tone is to die for.

Not sure how the finish affects the tone, and the only axe I’ve ever seen Manring play is his Hyperbass. However I can vouch for the D’A 1/2rounds. One caveat is that my 1/2rounds may sound different than yours (if you get some) cuz I always let the piezos dominate my tone. Another difference might be that I let my strings get reeeeeally old, and then I let them get even older.

BTW GHS Pressure Wound or Ground Wound also have the tone you described.

If you really dig the 1/2rounds maybe you’ll find yourself hunting for a piezo FL. FWIW there’s not much difference between a Sterling and a Ray when let the piezos dominate.

Last edited:

wannarock8

Thanks for the reponse.
I should have mentioned I guess, I do have experience with an EBMM fretless bass with the half round strings. Last year I sold my two pretty nice fretless basses and got an amazing Bongo fretless bass. My Bongo gets close enough, to my ear, to Manring's amazing bwow, without the $4000 - $6000 price tag of a Zon or equivalent.
The BFR Fuego Stingray fretless would be for tonal variation. And to cure GAS.
But I posted this because while my Bongo gets the tone I'm looking for, all the demoes I've watched for BFR maple board Stingrays don't have that tone.
A sample of the tone from my Bongo:
https://soundcloud.com/sleep-distance%2Flet-me-tell-you-a-story-una-corda-fantasia-372021-collaboration-w-milana-zilnik

Golem

Aside from a zillion Ray and Sterling piezo FLs, I also have a pair of piezo FL 1-H Boingo 4s.

I never look for a bass that sounds like some recording or performance that I love. I just buy a bass for its own sound. And I didn’t listen to your clips cuz recordings tell me nothing.

But I can tell you in words, if you’re ever offered a Boingo piezo 1-H FL4 don’t worry about BFR and such stuff. Just buy the damnt thing ! It has a zillion voices. Surely you’ll love some of them. It’s NOT a rockin roadhouse blues bar bass. But it’s everything else !

Top Bottom