• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

kevins

Hi so I bought this bass used and it smelled kinda funky when I got it home but I chalked that up to it’s age and the case it came with, anyways looked at the preamp today and saw this, not sure if it’s mold or old compound that has rubbed off over the years or a ton of dust. Would musicman be able to help with new parts if the preamp ends up messed up because of this?

kevins

Apparently aluminum just turns white after years go by so it’s probably in the clear

tbonesullivan

Does it still work correctly? We're not able to see the pictures unfortunately. White corrosion can be from aluminum or zinc plating. That usually means that the electronics in question were in a somewhat moist environment for a while, which promotes oxidation.

tbonesullivan

Yep, I've seen that a few times on galvanized / zinc hardware, and aluminum. Zinc turns white as it oxidizes, as does aluminum. These are pictures from a nitrocellulose finished guitar. See these washers:

milliewasher1.jpg

And a bit more on one of the pots:

milliewasher3.jpg

tbonesullivan

Oh nice! Thanks so much for posting!
I wish I knew a way to clean it of easily. I have some of it also on the contacts in a tube socket for a preamp I own, and unfortunately NOTHING seems to clean it off. I'll probably have to have the socket replaced.

Osstropolys

I stumbled upon this post, and although it's a bit late, I wanted to share my thoughts. That mold-like substance on your preamp does look concerning. It's always a good idea to err on the side of caution when it comes to mold. If you're worried about it, you can try reaching out to professionals like Mold Testing. They specialize in identifying and handling mold-related issues and can provide you with expert guidance. They might be able to assess the situation and offer solutions to address any potential mold problem. Regarding the preamp, if it does end up being affected by the substance, reaching out to Musicman is worth a shot. They might be able to assist with new parts or provide advice on how to address the issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom