• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

basscat

I've got an Ibanez Musician from the eighties that now features two Kent Armstrong MM humbuckers with parallel/single coil switches and an EMG preamp. I doesn't sound like a Musicman although some of the characteristcs are there from the PU configuration. How does a real Sabre sound? Like Jazz Bass on steroids, like a deeper sounding Stingray or...?

Curious

Basscat

ARES

A buddy of mine had one once (stupidly sold it, damn him, I would have bought it! :D ), and whenever I played it it sounded like a much darker Stingray, very awesome sound.

hands 5

I still have my '79 Sabre which IMO was the best MM every made because the flexability of the 2 pickups provided you with real good usable tones were as if you want the Stingray tone it's there however if you wanted a real good J-tone it too is there.I can also get a good Alembic tone out of it too.The neck has almost the same radius as a Fender Jazz which gives you that nice round and earthly tone.Mine has an ash body and maple neck it is an amazing instrument and being that it has just a 2 band eq I use it with the Sadowsky out board preamp box and the sound is nothing short of spectacular.:eek:

Top Bottom