• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danny-79

I’ve used them in the past, coated bass, admittedly not for a few years. just put a new set on cause the fancy took me to use a set and I’m experiencing a lot of finger noise. Huge amounts. I don’t remember them ever being like this. I’m hoping it will die down as they play in.
I’ve just put a couple of hours practice in on them and still just as squeaky!

N4860

Are you talking about the Cobalt rounds? I have them on my SR5 and they aren't noisy to me, granted mine have been on for about a year so they may have settled down but I don't ever recall them being too noisy. If you're referring to a different string type, than disregard as I didn't realize they may have other coated strings (not even sure if cobalts are coated actually).

danny-79

Are you talking about the Cobalt rounds? I have them on my SR5 and they aren't noisy to me, granted mine have been on for about a year so they may have settled down but I don't ever recall them being too noisy. If you're referring to a different string type, than disregard as I didn't realize they may have other coated strings (not even sure if cobalts are coated actually).

No Coated Slinky’s are something totally different to the Cobalts.
Cobalt Slinky’s are none coated.

I’ve got a few more hours on them now and they are not as bad but still very noisy. Can’t ever remember them having any noise in the past

N4860

No Coated Slinky’s are something totally different to the Cobalts.
Cobalt Slinky’s are none coated.

I’ve got a few more hours on them now and they are not as bad but still very noisy. Can’t ever remember them having any noise in the past

Ah you're right, I just looked them up and saw that they have coated slinky's. I've never seen those in stores so I didn't realize they existed. I haven't really used any coated stings in years so I couldn't help ya.

danny-79

Ah you're right, I just looked them up and saw that they have coated slinky's. I've never seen those in stores so I didn't realize they existed. I haven't really used any coated stings in years so I couldn't help ya.

I used them for quite a while when they were first introduced, for a couple of years or so then switched to a different brand and material completely. for some reason I had the urge to put a set of EB Coated on and why not ! (Missing the warmth of nickels maybe?) They have settled down a bit but still quite a bit of finger noise. My memory isn’t the best but don’t ever remember this issue in the past

Last edited:
Top Bottom