• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gurtejsingh

Hey guys,

I've read and heard brilliant thoughts for the Cobalt series of the slinky all over this forum, and am looking forward to try them on my JP6. I've seen the video on youtube where John talks about them, but I'm not a big fan of his tone on the video, and the comments there talk something similar. Can anyone here post some comments on how they sound on the EBMM JP6?

Also, I'm going in for a Hybrid Slinky for the heavy edge in the tone as I play metal, that should be ok on the JP6 right in terms of tremolo? any advice here?

Appreciate all the help I've got so far from you guys :)

MrJJoncas

I didn't love the tone on that video too, but that was due to the way it was recording, not the actual tone, don't worry. I really like the cobalt, more output, more clear, feel great. But they're almost the double, too much for my budget so I'll stay with the nickel.

Gnumarco

I've played some months with cobalt strings on my JP6 BFR. It sounds a bit brighter indeed, but for the price, I've came back to nickel, the difference was not worth it for me.

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
In the last 2 years I've tried on my JP:Slinkys, Coated, Cobalts
Cobalts sounds huge ...metal, clean, vintage sounds you name it.
as mentioned more output, clarity....they sound like you have engaged some boost :)))
now I have Cobalts on all my guitars.
I was kinda hesitating between Coated and Cobalt, both are great but I felt like Coated are not keeping the tone that much.
I usually buy a bulk of 12 sets and change them every 2 months. I use to do it every 3 weeks but since I play only home now can't see the need, after 3 weeks they sound as good as new ....though my hands don't sweat at all

gurtejsingh

Thanks guys. I settled in on a good deal by GC here for the hybrid slinky's (nickel) for now. I got 3 for around 11$. So maybe I'll try out the cobalt once I run out these. Thank you so much :)

Yeah and I agree, Cobalt does seem a bit high priced for my budget too.

Miqueas92

I have used regulars and they would be done in three weeks (used another brand and got four weeks out of them), my reflex would sound just dead.

Put cobalts on almost two months ago and they sound the same today as then, so, they are pretty cost effective it seems to me.

Mick

Majestdream

Hi Guys, one question... I have a jp6 and I've been using nickel hybrid slinkys strings for many years. I wan to try the cobalt or coated ones but want to know aboyt fret wear? Is fret wear faster with this strings? Thanks guys!

Majestdream

Thanks! I will try them... Would i need to adjust (action, intonation, etc) of my guitar if I change from Hybrid Slinkys to Cobalt Hybrid Slinkys???....Thanks!

guitvai1

I tried Cobalts but hated them. Every one of my guitars became distorted on clean settings, they lasted a long time but I prefer the sound of nickel strings.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Weird. I wonder what's up with that? I play clean tones 98% of the time and I never had that problem. So much so that I even thought country and jazz players would love 'em. IF you run your clean sounds just before the edge of breakup then the extra volume of the wound strings could push it into a slightly crunchier sound when you hit it hard but that's all I'd expect. Ultimately it's a question of personal taste (and indeed I prefered the tone of standard Slinkys) but that's the first time I ever heard of unwanted distortion from any set of strings.

Top Bottom