• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Covered vs Uncovered for MM L/Luke guitars

• Total voters

Rbg

I never had a guitar with covered pickups and really liked the fact that most MM humbuckers are covered, but ironically the BFR I got comes with opened pickups. As I mentioned in one of my posts before my LIII is running out of warranty so I am thinking of putting covers on the pickups. Just wanted to run by the community with one you prefer from the visual perspective? Here is a couple of shots I made with just putting (not properly installing yet) one pickup cover on mine.

pickup_1.jpg

pickup_2.jpg

Ted

I kinda like the look of the covered version. Up until I got my Valentines, I never had a guitar with metal covered pickups (unless you count the neck single coil pickup in my Tele) and wanted something that had them. Something classic about the aesthetics of covered pickups IMO. It was definitely a factor in my interest in the Val and Albert Lee (someday) and EBMM guitars in general.

That Luke looks cool either way, but I prefer the covered look.

Epiplatys

I’ve got the same L3 BFR, as well as three more L3s both with covered and uncovered. Kept telling myself how much more I prefer the look and the sound of the uncovered ones.
Great top btw!

Reactions: Rbg

dalto

For me, it looks better covered. However, I think it comes down to if you prefer the look of covered or uncovered pickups. :)

chrismilne

With cover looks nice, will lose some high frequency, but the Thornbuckers are quite bright, so likely not an issue.

Iperfungus

That Luke looks wonderful with both covered and uncovered pickups.
But I would go for covered.

Top Bottom