• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ilbardo46

Hi guys I'm writing because I was looking for a Bfr Steve Morse Caramel Burst limited edition and found one in a USA shop online and one in an Indonesian shop.

Both of them told me they cannot make delivery out of their countries...

Since It's a five years old instrument I can't understand how it is possible to forbid the selling all around the world.

Isn't possible to have a special permission in this case and get the guitar outside USA?

Thanx a lot

Alex

tbonesullivan

Are these new or used instruments? Ernie Ball dealers can only ship instruments within their home dealer range. This means that USA dealers can only ship new instruments to locations in the USA, and so forth. This is standard for most makers and dealers across the industry.

If these are used instruments, do the shops usually ship internationally? There are any number of reasons why they would not want to ship internationally.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Correct: new instruments cannot be shipped out of their distribution territories. The same rule exists for many guitar brands with the dealer stores all across the world (because it causes huge problems and costs in case of warranty claims and it circumvents the distributor networks, without which the brands would have no presence in those countries at all).

For used instruments, and certain lines of out of production instruments, there may be different rules but they might even vary a little from country to country (because regional distributors deal with non-US stores and they can set their own rules).

tl;dr If a store says they cannot ship to you, you just have to keep looking. Sorry, Alex.

ilbardo46

I understand but we are talking about a five years old instrument in limited edition, so out of production. And they prefer not selling after 5 years instead delivering out of their countries? I repeat, 5 YEARS OLD...not 5 months...

Mah! It's quite curious I think

beej

I'm not sure of the current state of things, however it used to be that dealers were allowed to ship NOS items out of their territory. Might be worth dropping MM a line directly and asking them to clarify.

beej

Just to update things- I asked EB about this. There should be no issue for a dealer to ship a 5 year old BFR anywhere in the world.

Whether they want to is another thing, but they're not prohibited from doing so. You could always point this out and have them ask if they want confirmation. (Seems to me they'd probably want the sale but who knows.)

That said- keep in mind that the warranty on the guitar is supposed to be supported in the country of purchase. So if you have any issues, you might need to send it back to the region you bought it from.

Last edited:

jlf599

I can't speak for stores, but I personally do not ship internationally via Reverb just because it can be a pain. Dealing with customs and import restrictions and paperwork...I don't have the time or inclination to do it. It's easy to ship in the US -- box it up, weigh it, measure it, fill out the website, print the label, and done.

Truly sorry for those it excludes, though.

tbonesullivan

I'm from Italy. Thanks
And do these retailers normally export items? Did they say they specifically wouldn't ship that guitar, or that they don't ship any guitars? With a lot of issues recently regarding exotic hardwoods, many shops simply do not want to ship internationally. That is entirely their choice, and there are many retailers that will not ship internationally. I work for one that DOES, and it is expensive, and risky.

Top Bottom