• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

fsmith

I was fooling around the other day and decided to play a song that was tuned down 1 step. D-G-C-F-A-D

So I start backing off on the pegs and before I could get all the strings in tune, they ended up resting on the fretboard. I'm assuming that with the floating trem on the Petrucci that I'd have to either lower the string gauge or remove one of the trem springs?

If that's the case, then hell there's my reason for having to buy a hardtail Axis...

fred

bing4sons

Yeah,

I've always heard that for every 1/2 step that you tune down, to go to the next heavier string gauge.

Bing

koogie2k

I use 9's on one of mine in dropped D. I had it done this way at a shop because of the neck adjustment (I don't like doing neck adjustments, not confident in my (in)ability). I haven't had a problem with it. Originally had 10's on it. Again, I had it done at a shop so I am sure they did all the adjustments that were needed. :)

OrangeChannel

What you need to do is not use lighter strings or remove springs, to be honest if you think of the logic, that's pretty a backwards statement and will only make it worse. When you drop tune, the string tension is going to be decreased, so the bridge is going to pullbackwards based on the spring tension in the claw cavity. If you're drop tuning, you need to compensate for the floating bridge by adjusting the trem claw so it pushes the bridge back up to it's neutral point, which is easily done by turning the screws counterclockwise. essential you're pushing the bridge back up by increasing the length of the screws. any questions PM me.

fsmith

OC,
Thaks for the explanation. Now that I look at it and think about it that makes sense.

Not worth the trouble just to play a few songs though.

Looks like it's time to get serious about another guitar or two to keep around in various different tunings.

thanks,
fred

koogie2k

Hope you didn't take my answer as being "the" answer. I just had to get my guitar fixed and since it was there, I told them to drop the string gauge. I prefer 9's. But, OC, that does make sense. It's just, I am too chicken to start trying to fix my guitars because I am not confident in my ways with them. I let the pros do it. Thanks for the advice.

OrangeChannel

I usually use 11's + as far as strings go, on trem guitars it's a bit of a stretch to go with heavier guages but for me it works fine, just takes some spring adjustment as far as that goes. It's easier on the JP's because you don't have a locking trem system to deal with, just the springs on the trem. It's actually a good thing to get to dealing with, since even the weather changes can eff that up t some degree. For the most part these days I play fixed bridges and have several axes setup for different tunings....

Hey EB guys how about a fixed bridge Petrucci?????

koogie2k

Hey OC...11's?!?!? That is just this side of power line isn't it? lol. Man, I could not use such heavy gauge. I do have 10s on one of my JP, and that is pushing it for me. A fixed bridge would be nice. I would certainly be interested in one of those. I'm on the hunt for another JP as it is. Trying to find a blue dawn one. No luck yet.

OrangeChannel

Yeah I was thinking of getting an Al for awhile, but I 'd really dig a Petrucci, can't justify it tho based on having just paid thru the wahoo for the completion of my rig. Dream Theater are one of my faves, and having seen them about a week ro two ago got the ol' GAS going again. For he most part I build and play partsocasters. But I love me some EB strings.

koogie2k

Hopefully you can get that JPM soon. Partsocaster...lol. Whatever works man. No harm there. As long as you have something to play is all that really matters no matter the brand. I love the EB strings myself, only lighter gauge. I like to bend those strings big time. The heavier gauges hurt my delicate hands..lol. So what is the dream rig consisting of?

OrangeChannel

I just bumped up to beefy slinkies. hahahaha. I have most of it in place save for the guitars, two are hot rodded teles, the other is now a sparkly gold strat body and a reversed stock warmoth neck. That'll be my trem guitar since I haven't had one in years. Another frankenstein that I'm thinking of selling. And I have a 5th parts o' jammer in the making, but I may not finish it and sell the remainders to finance something else. here's the rig breakdown:

Amp:
Dual Recto 3 channel
Mesa Traditional straight 4x12
(those angled cabs suck, lack focus and are saggy sounding in the low end and the standard recto cabs are bass cabs as far as I'm concerned.)

Pedals:
Whammy 4
Line 6 Mod
Line 6 Delay
Boss tu2 and NS2
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
pedal power 2
Digitech Digidelay

Pups: Duncans (lil '59's sound sick in teles)
Strings: EB's
Picks: Dunlops

Last edited:

koogie2k

Hey OC...nice rig. Lots of pedals too! You must look like you are doing the river dance with all that gear! lol. My set up is simpler, I don't have the coordination for all those pedals;)

Amp:

Marshall Dual Super Lead JCM 2000
1960 Lead slant cab

Boss GT-6 processor

EBJPM6
Mystic Dream
Stock Pick-ups (DiMarzio)

EBJPM6
Pearl Redburt
Dimbucker inthe bridge (Super Hot!)
SH-58 in the neck

Funny how I like the lighter gauge strings but play with Fender
Heavy picks!! lol

Have fun:D

OrangeChannel

Koog. That's an effective setup you've got there. It's funny musically I guess you could say my writing falls in that "post-hardcore" vein, stuff like Hum, Quicksand, Jawbox, Snapcase, Tool, Helmet, SunnyDayRealEstate. So the trems were a bit impractical. Tho if I had them setup in the tunings I use, the JPM's would definitely set the tone. Cash is the ish here, hahaha. If anything I'd probably go with the no frills bottom on the line should I snatch one up at some point, heck even JP himself used one on the recent tour.

bing4sons

When I was looking in the FAQs for the string gauge that Axis guitars come set up with, I ran across this (I guess this is one of the places I had heard this from, in my earlier answer :) ).

Q: I plan to use a lower tuning. Do I need to do anything special if I tune to, say an E flat or D?

A: For alternate tunings: typically for every 1/2 step that you tune down, you need to increase your string gauge from the standard set, or gauge that you currently use. For example, if you currently use 9's and your guitar is properly set up, you would switch to 10's to tune to E flat. Increasing your string gauge will also increase pressure at the nut, so the nut slots need to be cut wider. This is best done using a file. It will change the tension of the neck, so the trussrod will need adjustment, it will also change the intonation (how to adjust intonation is discussed in another FAQ).

koogie2k

Hey Bing...

I agree with you on the increase the string gauge and all. I just don't like the heavier sets. I really bend the crud out of my strings and the lighter gauges work for me. I did have a pro set up like I stated earlier. I tend to go against the grain sometimes. I haven't had any trouble with my JPM and I have had this one with 9's for about a year or so now. I do use 10's on my other one (me against my own grain..lol) but I tend to play a lot of classical stuff on a clean channel. Just feels better for that style of music. I don't really do many bends with that one. I just have sissy hands I guess :p .

OC...love the bands. I would like to hear what you've done if you have a recording or place I could go on the net to check it out.

later :cool:

OrangeChannel

Actually the string gauge doesn't necessarily matter. Moreso the spring tension with the bridge. As I'd posted earlier getting the bridge back to it's neutral position is the matter of importance. I use heavier strings personally but some guys I know drop to 'A' on 6 string guitars set up with 9's. That's all a matter of personal preference. Saying that a heavier string increases tone is correct, but not only in drop tuned situations. It holds true in standard tunings as well. Look at Stevie Ray. Dude used 13's tho he tuned down a half step at times.

A good example of a great downtuned rhythm sound is King's X's Dogman. Ty used lite strings on there, 9's from what I remember and there were like 5 guitars he used for tunings on that tour. None of them had heavier strings.

Tony Iommi used lite strings too and tuned way down because his stubs were too tender to play at normal tensions, he just fretted notes in higher positions to emulate standard tunings.

Top Bottom