• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

yjm

I have a JP6 Carbon blue pearl, non piezo. 2006

Its everything I have ever wanted from a guitar in terms of simplicity, playability and just pure tone, it screams to me exactly the same as systematic chaos album from DT.

But I have an opportunity to sell it for about 1200 GBP and move onto a JP6 BFR, or a Majesty...

I dont know if old jp6 mantain any value, like fenders/gibsons do over the course of 20 years, but in a reasonable position.

Should I upgrade, or just keep it forever?

PXL_20220730_092001195.jpg

racerx

In general most instruments resale value went through the roof the past few years (relatively speaking, of course). As for collector instrument value, that's too tough to say. I'm sure plenty of '59 Lesters and Strats got thrown around like beaters without a thought, but look at their value now. I'm sure yours will go up in value as time progresses, but I don't know if it will exponentially.

If your primary concern is playability and sound - then I'd say go for what speaks to you the most, makes you feel comfortable, and helps you express yourself the way you want. If you're focused on the collector side of things, then I'd recommend being patient and only ever trade/sell up if you must. Otherwise its quick and easy to set your money on fire.

73h Nils

You answered your own question. If it's everything you want out of a guitar, don't sell it or trade it. My favourite guitar is one of my original JP7s and I've played/own a few of the newer ones. The Majesty would be the only one that would be really different, too. All the BFRs etc have somewhat similar design philosophy with a few extra features that may or may not be worth it to you, like volume boosts or coil splits etc.

Rbg

no an answer to your question, but for me JPs beat Majesties aesthetically hands down, every day. I guess I am more of a traditional guitar look guy (though I dig new Kaizen look).

cbc83

Unless you are aching for a piezo pickup, I'd keep it. I do play my JPXI more, but it's only cause I like the radius and my 2005 JP6 has a flaw with one of the piezo saddles (and I use the piezo a lot in my band). The unfinished neck on the JP6 is still friggin amazing.

The only other reason I can think of is that the newer models (I think all models after 2011) have stainless steel frets - which feels GREAT.

tbonesullivan

KEEEPP ITTT. Blue is the best color. It's a great looking guitar in great shape. Many people WISH they could still find the non-piezo versions. I don't want to deal with that much tech on my guitar.

Sweat

Nice guitar, you stated everything you wanted so sounds to me you should keep it. Why not keep it and get another, like a BFR :)

Top Bottom