• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

deadringer

I know, there isn't a custom shop but man I wish there was. The first thing I'd do would be to order a PetrucciAxis. It would be a Petrucci 7 string model with piezo and all but with a birdseye maple fretboard and a quilted maple top with a see through black finish.

So it got me thinking. If you could order a custom EB / MM using only the features that they already use on other models what would it be?

Jimi D

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again: a Luke with an Axis neck would be a sweet deal for me... I even called up EB/MM and asked them to do it for me, but they respectfully turned me away empty-handed... They do stuff like that for big rock stars like Dweezle Zappa and Blues Saraceno though, so I'll be sure to ask them again if I ever get a song on the radio or a cooking show. ;)

Oh, and Warg - minus 2 points for a boring answer; no soup for you! :p

dwf1004

Aw, come on, Jimi...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Though my "custom shop" would have to be an EVH, original body style, toggle location, etc. -- but with 7 strings.

That could be cool, IMHO, but then I'm weird anyways. :p

GWDavis28

Jimi D wrote: "a Luke with an Axis neck would be a sweet deal for me"

Jimi, is the a maple finger board or rosewood??

I've been thinking the samething lately :) and wondering what it would sound like.

Later

Hookpunch

Hi Jimi, ever tried ordering the parts independently from EBMM , the Luke body, the Axis neck and getting a good pro shop to put it together for you? Or would that be prohibitive from a cost standpoint?

GWDavis28

Hookpunch,

Can you get the parts from EBMM??
I'm sure, but for some reason I was under the impressions that you couldn't.

I may be wrong here and hope that I am.

Hookpunch

to tell the truth I don't know, I was wondering if it was possible myself. You figure a neck should not be a problem if you are intent on changing an Axis neck for a Luke neck.

Meaning you would have to buy a Luke then order an Axis neck.

I mean necks must break on occasion and I assume EBMM would let you buy a replacement, otherwise you lose a major advantage of having a bolt-on neck guitar.

GWDavis28

Hookpunch,

I know that Warmouth sells knock-offs (is a good word), but I haven't heard of EBMM selling to Joe-Average.

I'm not sure you can get a Luke with an Axis neck as Jimi D indicated. I've seen comments from EBMM indicate that there may be a custom shop, but time frame has never been mentioned.

I think your right necks and such break, but I think you send them the instrument and they'll fix it. That way the keep a satisfied customer and maintan their high quality of excellence.

It's smart and good business. I don't think I seen or heard of EBMM making a bad business mistake yet. That's a great thing!!! I commend them on it.

I suppose you can look for a trashed/damaged EBMM and then try and make your own mongrul, but I have a feeling that there would be a boat load of cash involved in that.

peter71

I would have my '95 Silouette without the Trem and I would add locking tuners and Kinman single coils rather than the ones that are in there now. Other than that I would keep it the same. Of course all of these changes are ones that I can make without too much expense, but I just seem to like everything else too much to want to change it...

Oh, maybe some knobs like Norm has.

Please stop giggling, that is not what I was talking about.

Last edited:

Jimi D

GWDavis28 said:
Can you get the parts from EBMM??
I'm sure, but for some reason I was under the impressions that you couldn't.
If you have a damaged instrument, they will replace the old part with a new one (for a price if it is not a warranty repair), but you can't buy "parts". Believe me, I asked that too - I would gladly put the time and effort in to build it myself if I could get the required parts...

GWD ~ I was actually thinking of the carve/dimensions when I said "Axis neck", but now that you mention it, yes, I would prefer the maple 'board neck... Heck, as long as I'm dreaming, lets make those EMG's with white covers, too! That would look so-o-o-o cool in CAR with matching headstock, imho...

GWDavis28

Oh yah ain't nothing for free in this world. That's about what I figured Jimi.

Yah I wonder if they ever made a Luke (For Luke) with a maple fretboard??? I'm not a hatching head stock kind of guy, but whatever rocks your world. I'd have to see the white emg's that might work.

I've been looking for a damaged/trashed Silhouette special, with no luck. I'd love to give it a cool paint job and maybe babble with emg's and few other tweaks. But alas, it is only a dream.

kbaim

Not real imaginative here.

Just 100% totally happy with my 3 lukes
1. sunburst piezo
2. blue dawn (no longer available)
3. purple (no longer available)

If they don't sound good, it's usually my fault (mistakes and such), not their fault.

KEITH

koogie2k

Petrucci with quilted maple top.
Aquamarine finish
Fixed bridge
Dimbucker at the bridge
SH-58 Seymour at the neck.

Just a note: I know of a guy who could do this for me minus the bridge. He would basically re-top one of my Petrucci's and match the headstock as well. No, it is not Dred roman. This guy's work is killer and he makes some beautiful instruments. Just, the price was enough to put me in the doghouse (wife said no! :p ). So, it is possible like anything else, just need the $$$$!

Warg Master

Fine.... it's not anoption on any other EBMM guitar I think... But I would like an ebony fret board on a petrucci. :D

tvanveen

Daphne Blue AL, white P-90 covers (I know someone makes them, Reverend offers them), rosewood fretboard.

But really, the AL is pretty close to perfect.

Jimi D

Warg Master said:
Fine.... it's not anoption on any other EBMM guitar I think... But I would like an ebony fret board on a petrucci. :D
That's the spirit, Warg! :D

Hookpunch

Hi Warg- why ebony ? I think I have only seen ebony on the fingerboards of classical guitars?

Warg Master

They use ebony on pretty much all the Standard USA Jackson guitars. I like the feel and sound of the ebony fretboard. Doesn't look too bad either.

My Petrucci is pretty much perfect in any case. :p

PurpleSport

Hookpunch said:
why ebony ? I think I have only seen ebony on the fingerboards of classical guitars?

Ebony's used on Les Paul Customs, too. Provides a nice edge to the tone of a warm body/short scale neck combo like the LPs, and is one of the most durable (and heavy/dense) woods you can get.

Looks pretty nice, too, and contrary to what most would believe, it's not all jet black. I have a slab of macassar ebony that's got some absolutely outrageous swirl and color to it. Looks like the prettiest brown and black bowling ball you'll ever see....and weighs probably about as much, too! :D

Oh, count me on for a pair of AL's with an Axis neck carve on outrageous flame maple, one with a either a transparent pistachio green-to-gold or a black-to-Kelly green burst and the other Blue Dawn. Make one the stock 3 MM90s w/Axis pots, the other HSH or HSS, both with special push/pull tone pot to allow switching-in of the rear PU into the mix at will.

Now yer talkin!

Last edited:
Top Bottom