• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mikeller

Last time I looked, new Cutlass's are shipped with Ernie Ball M-Steel strings, which are stated to be a high-output string. Would that higher output have an bearing on the decision of the factory pickup height spec?

Or worded differently, would one want to adjust the pickups a little closer with a lower output string than they might with a high-output string?

racerx

This probably isn't the scientific answer you're after but I had the HSS Cutlass (2021) and still have the SSS Cutlass (2018). I wasn't aware they may have come special strings. When I switched to my usual EB 9-46s, I didn't notice a material change in tone/feel/output.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Looking the numbers that I have access to, the pickup heights are kinda the same across most models. I think of it as "the 4-5-6 setup", meaning 4/32" bridge pickup, 5/32" middle pickup, 6/32" neck pickup, measure from open strings to top of pickup poles, a little closer on the treble side. So, I don't think strings had much/anything to do with it.

Of course those numbers are just a starting point, and may not be ideal for anyone. I generally lower everything a little and then lower the bridge a little more. But that's just me.

Top Bottom