• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mesavox

I have noticed that the high E saddle on some of the jpm7s I have seen have a gap between it and the bottom trem post. On mine there is barely any gap at all and when I bend very far the saddle hits the bolt and I can feel the edge slip out of the groove. It's not been a huge problem as I very seldom use the trem for dive bombs but even when I do I fear that it could damage the knife edge and possibly the saddle(since they are so sensitive with the piezos in them.)

I guess my question is this... Does any given guitar have more than one point the saddles can be intonted at? Was this a setup error or did they have to change thiers to get around this problem? I've also noticed that all the six strings I have seen don't have this problem. I guess it's because of the narrower spread of the trem.

I have heard that these are very hard to intonate and I don't have a very good tuner.

Thanks in advance...

OrangeChannel

Don't have enough experience setting up the 7's to help ya bro. Sorry 'bout that. :(

I figured since no one else answered I'd just fill some space. :D

puppiesonacid

what i think your saying is that the saddle is closer to the base plate of the tremolo than what you have see on other JPM7's, correct me if im wrong. If that is the case then you just need to raise the saddle height NOT intonate it. Saddle height is really has more to do with how high the strings, although yes you can mess with them for intonation. the intonation screws for the petrucci are located at the back of the trem on the edge facing the back strap button of your guitar. the saddle height adjustment screws are the two screws located to either side of each saddle when your looking straight down at the bridge.

does this help?

God bless,

Tony

OrangeChannel

Nah he means, the height post the trem pivots on. Like I'd stated I've not enough experience setting those up, but I'll check with some of my tech buddies if you'd like. My guess is if it's perfectly inotnated nothing to worry about, but if it's a case where you'd have to lengthen the screw and shortlen the length of the string off the saddle, you might be in for not a good time. Off hand is that string not ringing out when plucked open....? Just curious.

mesavox

It is the post that the trem pivots on that the saddle is close to. There is less than a millimeter clearance and when I use the trem that saddle hits the trem post and causes the whole trem to rock out of place. Since it's a seven string I haven't really had too much a problem because I tend to think differently when playing it. But, we've been recording a bit and it's so much easier to play than my Ibanez Petrucci that I have been tracking with the seven except when I need to play chords with my thumb. This has caused more trem use than before and I am concerned that I will wear the knife edge impropperly causing major tuning problems down the road.

jongitarz

Have you checked the intonation yet? That's the first thing I would do.

Jon

Top Bottom