• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Lonethunder

Hi all! First time posting. I've had a 2006 Stingray 4HH since 2007, and I've loved it. Yesterday I had a sudden urge to learn more about it, and I can find a little info but not too much. Here's some details about the bass:

I am the second owner (bought it from a Long & McQuade guitar store in 2007 for $1,650 CAD).

Finish - black cherry burst w/matching headstock

Fretboard/neck - both maple

Pickguard - clear

Hardware - Chrome

It also came with a black tolex/red velvet G&G case.

I've tried to find exact versions of this bass online but I can't, and the fact that it came with a G&G case leads me to believe that it may or may not be interesting. So I'm wondering things like what the story is on the 2006-ish era of stingray basses in general, why can't I find any with clear pickguards or black cherry burst with maple fretboard and matching headstock online, why does it come with a G&G case, and how much did they retail for at the time? What does the "114-10-11-15-BB-CR" build code mean?

Really any info would be appreciated! I don't think I have anything super rare or unique, but I'm just curious how my bass fits into the history of the stingray bass!

kevins

Lot of cool things about it and actually it is pretty rare! Early HH stingrays are made with alnico magnets as opposed to contemporary stingrays that are made with neodymium. I’m not sure if 2eq HHS ever existed but if they did they’re very rare! As standard they’re usually 3eqs, yours would have the old voicing if it was a 3eq. If it’s a 2006 it might have an unfinished neck too! If it’s a 2eq it’s one of my white whale basses

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

I'm going to guess "BB - CR" is "black Burst - Cherry Red".

2006 Should have Alnico Magnets, ling all stingray 4s up until the past few years. The case is interesting though. Maybe email ernie ball to see if it was possibly a special run.

Rod Trussbroken

Don't quote me but I'm fairly certain that "Black Cherry Burst" was introduced in 2006 for the Sting Ray

Also, dual (HH) pickups had only just been introduced as an option to the standard single (H) pickup. RE: Summer NAMM show (July 2005).

Top Bottom