• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mikecontmusic

Hendrix's Strat, Slash's Les Paul, Angus Young's SG, Princes Cloud or even McCartneys violin bass. Some of the most iconic guitars of all time, but which is the most iconic? Would love to hear all of your opinions and suggestions on this topic to find out really which is the most iconic guitar, who's got the best axe? let battle commence!

Siddius

Morse FrankenTele & #1, VH's Frankenstrat, Vai's Jem, Mustaine's King V, Dime's ML, Hetfield's explorer, Trey Anastasio's Languedoc, Garcia's Alembic, Santana's PRS... and many more, I'm sure.

Stratty316

I think EVH's Frankenstein guitar is prob the most recognizable iconic guitar. You can argue that Franky was actually several different guitars but love him or hate him everyone knows that paint job. That is what was so shocking when the EBMM EVH was introduced... Ed went from a home made POS to a superbly crafted instrument that is among the most collectable and playable guitars today. I'm sure that if MM shared sales numbers the EVH/Axis would be a very influential guitar as it pertains to the effects of their business model. You may go as far as saying its EBMM's Stat or Les Paul as it is "the guitar" that exploded and put them on the map... Though the Silo and JP have prob out sold it at this point and as a company they have continued to push instrument design forward after EVH's departure... Prob more so than they could have with him still on board. But, EVH is now a brand selling that striped POS for a lot of money because people just have to have that guitar. That should tell you something about "Iconic".

I think the Les Paul itself is the most recognized signature guitar, however I'm sure that many of the kids playing a LP today don't even know who Les Paul was and that the LP was his "signature" guitar . Jimmy Page was prob the most iconic of the LP players due to Zeppelins iconic status. Hendrix is the most iconic of the Strat players followed by Clapton's blackie and Gilmour's black Strat. Speaking of the Strat it's prob the most iconic guitar in general... Think of how many people played one? A certain striped guitar was based upon a strat... Anyway... I don't think you can beat EVH's Frankenstein paint job as the most iconic single artist guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalmmm

Last edited:

Tollywood

nigeltufnel.jpg

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
In terms of shape and design, I agree that Brian May's guitar is up there, along with the EVH/Axis. Also add the Ibanez Gems, and Gretsch 6120s too. The strat/tele/LP/SG/335 are just too ubiquitous in the guitar playing public's mind to be uniquely associated with any one player. The Morse, and even the Albert Lee models, much as we love 'em, are simply unknown to most of the guitar playing community.

And if we ask the non-guitar paying world, they'll only think of Slash and Hendrix.

Bungo

Would like to add a couple of double necks into the mix, namely the Gibson's of Jimmy Page and Alex Lifeson.

I do think that Brian's Red Special is probably the most unique and individual iconic axe of all time.

NB I have tickets for the last night of We Will Rock You in London in a week's time which will no doubt feature appearances from Brian and Roger.

Looking forward to it!:cool:

Tollywood

NB I have tickets for the last night of We Will Rock You in London in a week's time which will no doubt feature appearances from Brian and Roger.

Looking forward to it!:cool:

queen-3%20(Large).jpg

Be on the lookout for one of my favorites players:
Jamie Humphries, an ebmm endorsee and the reason I picked up the Axis again after several years without one.

Greg Suarez

In no particular order of importance:

Brian May's Red Special/"Old Lady"
David Gilmour's Black Strat
David Gilmour's Red Strat with EMGs
Alex Lifeson's Gibson ES-355
Geddy Lee's black Fender J-Bass
EVH's Frankenstrat
Randy Rhoads' polka-dot Jackson RR model
Eric Clapton's "Blackie" and "Brownie" Stratocasters
Steve Vai Ibanez Universe
Phil Collen's Bela Lugosi glow-in-the-dark Jackson Dinky
B.B. King's "Lucille" Gibson ES-355
Jimmy Page's Gibson EDS-1275 double-neck
Kirk Hammett's black ESP
Michael Wilton's ESP skull guitar
Dimebag's Washburn and Dean models
Richie Sambora's Jersey Star Kramer
John Sykes' Les Paul Custom
Blues Saraceno's green plaid Yamaha RGZ
Paul Gilbert's white Ibanez with the faux F-holes
Alvarez Dana Scoop
Nuno Bettencourt's Washburn N4
John Petrucci's original Ibanez model
John Myung's MM Bongo
Mark Knopfler's 1937 National Style 0 Resonator (on the cover of Dire Strait's "Brothers in Arms")
Robbie Krieger's Gibson SG

This isn't so much a compendium of the most iconic guitars of all time as much as it's my Christmas wish list.

Bungo

Be on the lookout for one of my favorites players:
Jamie Humphries, an ebmm endorsee and the reason I picked up the Axis again after several years without one.

Sure thing. I've seen Jamie a fair bit down the years in various roles. Top musician for sure.

The WWRY band they have in London is always worth going to see, just to hear them play the songs. Have seen the likes of Spike Edney, Phil Hilbourne, Laurie Wisefield and Neil Murray in it at various times.

Probably the best 'A list' band any musical has ever had!:cool:

alf cockle

Looks like the Strat is pretty hard to beat.I have one and really like it..I have done all of the mods that bring it up to a MusicMan standard,minus the awesome neck that EBMM is known for.One more for the Strat and Mark Knopfler.Don*t get me wrong..my favourite guitars are all EBMM...

ksandvik

Strange, nobody has mentioned Clapton's The Fool yet. It has even had multiple incarnations like Todd Rundgren's main axe for a long time.

Greg Suarez

Looks like the Strat is pretty hard to beat.I have one and really like it..I have done all of the mods that bring it up to a MusicMan standard,minus the awesome neck that EBMM is known for.One more for the Strat and Mark Knopfler.Don*t get me wrong..my favourite guitars are all EBMM...

I prefer Strat necks, since they are uniformly larger. Give me a 9.5" radius Strat neck. At least the Silhouette is 10".

Top Bottom