• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

koogie2k

This past Friday, I torn the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. This was diagnosed Monday. I have to wait a week (to see if the meds work.....not good so far.) and then see a surgeon. My doc said get prepped for surgeory, he thinks that is gonna be the answer to fix this. Now, I can't play my guitars! That is just sacriligious! Oh well, I have to wait, get better, then back to practicing. Still, this sucks. Just wanted to vent. Thanks for being the shoulder for me to cry on!:D

PurpleSport

Dude...sorry to hear about the injury, that's gotta hurt.

Make lemonade out of lemons - this is a perfect time to try out other techniques on guitar that you may have never thought of:

- Play it on your lap, face up, Jeff Healy style. Get a slide and try some lap steel type stuff, if that's too freaky for ya. Open or other non-conventional tunings work great for that and are fun to explore, if even for a short time.

- Play it with only your right hand tapping the strings muting unused strings with your bum left hand (or not).

- Run the guitar through a million different effect settings and pedal orders you've thought about (or not) but never tried before. Put all your effects (and maybe even your guitar) on a table or desktop in front of you so you don't strain yourself, and just hit a reference note and tweak away with your good hand.

- Download some freeware multitrack recorders and effects plugins (or learn more about the ones you have), record a few notes, and experiment.

Remember, Django Reinhardt was a master jazz player, yet only had mobility in two of his left hand fingers, and not even full use at that thanks to being severely burned in a fire as a child. There's a ton of things you can do too, only limited by your imagination, which may not be as limited as you think (might help to have a glass or two of "liquid pain killer" around whilst ya do this to aid the creative process/recovery - if you're of legal age, of course)!

Let us know how your procedure/recovery/experimentation comes along. Hang in there! :)

Last edited:

PurpleSport

More ideas:

- Download a software synthesizer and a MIDI keyboard app (that you can trigger from your computer's QWERTY keyboard), and learn about synths do.

- Download free loops like drums, basslines, and synth pads, and make backing tracks to jam with when you recover.

- Learn some music theory if you haven't already, or advance on what you already know.

- Read about other stringed instruments, and/or instruments you've never thought about playing, even ones from foreign countries you've never heard of.

- Learn about the Chapman Stick and try tuning and playing your guitar like it...you can do that with one hand.

- Learn about rhythm and the infinite possibilities therein..amazing how much you can learn by tapping on a tabletop with just your fingers and a good guidebook.

- Learn about and listen to other music styles, both in this country and outside of it.

- Learn more about the evil empire known as the music business, and all the shysters and hucksters within, and learn what you can do to avoid them if you want to try to make a buck or two in the biz. Ditto on learning about the business end of promoting yourself and your art.

Best yet, all of this is available online, and for free!

Last edited:

tvanveen

If I were in your shoes I'd probably get a cheap keyboard and some theory books.

Then again, I suck at theory, maybe you don't.

You've got my sympathy - get well soon, and do exactly what the doctors and PT's tell you!

BTW, how'd you do it?

koogie2k

Thanks for the response all...definitely some great ideas. I do have about 80 takes on my digital recorder to mix and pick from. I guess I should get those tunes finalized...Who knows, I might have the next American Idol hit right there...lol.
To answer tvanveen - I tore it by checking on some of the work my employees were doing on a Navy Ship. I just happen to be looking at something and had to climb up in a tight area when I heard a pop in the shoulder. My left arm went numb for an hour and has been hurting since.
Hey PurpleSport - like I said before, I will make that lemonade. Just hope I can get back to playing soon, I have been without for going on 6 days now...boo hoo for me! Somehow, I will get my playing in, I will definitely check out your ideas.
Thanks all. :cool:

pack-rat

kbaim said:
Another idea would be too sell your gear to one of us really cheap. :D

KEITH

ouch ! you really know how to kick a guy when he's down !

LOL

seriously, my first thought was theory

Also, how is your singing voice? could always work on that

pack-rat

phatcactus said:
One word: theremin. :D

i didn't know EBMM nade Theremins.
wait a minute isn't there an artist series ? The H. Whipple Abbot theremin and the Dr. Samuel Hoffman series ?

may I have a DOB of my Whipple please ?

Last edited:

kbaim

If you have the dough, a great idea would be to order the eb guitar you've been wanting as you may heal up around the time it's completed.

Instant motivation.

KEITH

nobozos

Could someone please explain to me what a Theremin exactly does. I have seen them, but never really knew what the hell it was. It sounds like a back pill to me.

phatcactus

The theremin is the greatest instrument ever conceived. Ever. It's basically a box with antennae sticking out, and as you move your hands around, the pitch and volume change.

Also, it is from freakin' outer space. No foolin'.

And I've never played one. :(

koogie2k

hahah...it is so nice to see my guitar buddies know how to look out for me...sell my gear cheap...lol....You guys/gals are funny and it really brightened up my day with all the responses. :D

A little history on the Theremin you may not know. The Russian who invented it, brought this "magical" instrument over here for introductioin to the American people. The inventor even got himself invited to the White House because his instrument was promoting a certain "peace" within the Cold War community if you will. However, the instrument was bugged by the KGB and therefore some of our secrets got out. :eek: Just a little history for ya.

Seriously, it is a cool instrument in what it does. Again, thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will overcome and get back to playing. Peace.

PurpleSport

For those who'd like to try out a Theremin, but don't wanna go thru the hassle/expense of getting one, here's a freeware VST plug-in you might enjoy (especially fun if ya assign it to a gaming joystick via MIDI and chain it up with other plugins!):

http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/26.html

And for those who have a Synaptics Touchpad on their laptop, here's a neat Theremin-esque app to futz around with and annoy your fellow commuters/officeworkers/pets/significant other:

http://www.synaptics.com/decaf/utilities/SynThZip2.zip

BTW: the Theremin is known as one of the most difficult instruments to master...not only do you need a great sense of pitch, but also muscle control and depth perception to make anything really musical with it. For the rest of us, it's a heckuva nifty noisemaker... :p

Top Bottom