• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rivers

Am curious if this would be a plug and play pickup job? I heard that I might need to ream the pickup tab holes and enlarge it so that it can be installed on the Axis.

Advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tbonesullivan

Make sure you get uncovered pickups, as the covers may not fit. However If you're going to adjust anything, go after the pickup mounting legs, not the guitar body. From what I can see, the suhr pickups have triangular style tabs, just like the dimarzio pickups.

Your other issue is going to be that the Axis and Axis SS are direct mounted pickups. If the "legs" are not the same length, you could have issues.

Are the Axis SS pickups to high output for your tastes?

Magic Jason

Installed Suhr Thornbuckers in my Albert Lee HH.
I'm really happy with the result because I have another AL HH with the original pickups and it offers something different. These are great humbuckers : clear and articulate. What's written about them is true!

Now, the improvement is not breathtaking because the original Dimarzio's are REALLY good.
Quite honestly, it wasn't worth the expense nor the trouble (beware of the colour codes that are different.)

Ventanaman

I have put Suhr Thornbuckers (Plus in the bridge) in an Axis SS, and they fit fine either with or without the covers. The Suhr baseplates have the triangular feet and fit extremely well.

The Thornbuckers are super articulate and and have the classic PAF voicing. I found them a bit too bright in the Axis SS and eventually went with the Suhr SSH which still has a vintage/hot feel but voiced better for the Axis SS IMHO.

I also have a mahogany Axis SS that has a set of BKP Abraxis and it sounds killer.

Top Bottom