• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

rgneb

Hi there, EB fan here and happy owner of a ray34ca that needs a new set of strings.
I dont like the feel of flatwounds (tried it on a friend's bass) so i am considering only roundwounds. I dont really mind if steel or nickel, as long as the strings are as flexible as possible or as low tension as possible.
I've searched a lot of info on the web but what i found was just comparison of flexibility/tension across different brands and not within one brand (in my case Ernie Ball).

Thanks in advance.

brash47

Depending on what kind of flex you want, I would look more at a lower gauge string. Slinky RW have a decent amount of flex, try a lower gauge.

There has always been a group...myself included that think a pure round center string and not hex-core is a much easier string to bend.

Yes, there is a difference in manufacturers as to the center core of the bass string. The hex-core digs into the round wound portion and holds on really well, where the round doesn't bite as much.

Good examples...ernie balls are hex core....they feel tighter than when I use rotosound rounds.

But when I went down in gauge, all of the sudden I had more string bend. When I went to EBMM cobalts, I discovered a different string altogether. They have a mixed feel to me, and I would bet they are even higher tension, but I dont have the data.

I would try the cobalts and see what you think....I'm never switching until something that makes me poop my pants comes out. Just try different gauges.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tim Brosnan

I’ve finally switched to Ernie Ball for bass strings, after switching to their Super Slinky guitar strings back in 1987.

What I find with all of the Ernie Ball strings, they all seem to be more flexible, more comfortable to play, than their similar counterparts from other brands.

Whatever type you like, go with the lightest gauge of that type, you won’t be disappointed!

Top Bottom