• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Bill S

I use amp sims exclusively, and have been totally blown away by the new Neural DSP Petrucci - currently on a 14 day free trial.

Can someone recommend a simple MIDI expression pedal that would work with this?

Also, my audio interface is a Focusrite 6i6, and I am already using the MIDI I/O. How does the expression pedal hook up? Is it via MIDI cables or is there a USB option?

Thank you!

jayjayjay

This should be in the General Music Discussion forum - I think you'll have better luck there.

This forum is for EBMM guitar discussions.

beej

It's more of a guitar gear question I'd say ... seems ok to be here. ('General music' is more about music, not gear.)

Anyhow, like everything gear related, it's a rabbit hole. Many MIDI controllers have inputs for expression pedals to convert them to MIDI (either 5 PIN or USB), then you can use whatever expression pedal you like.

These guys make a few different interfaces for just such a situation-

Probably some others out there if you look. Or pick up a used MIDI controller from Disaster Area, Morningstar, etc.

desertjay

I use amp sims exclusively, and have been totally blown away by the new Neural DSP Petrucci - currently on a 14 day free trial.

Can someone recommend a simple MIDI expression pedal that would work with this?

Also, my audio interface is a Focusrite 6i6, and I am already using the MIDI I/O. How does the expression pedal hook up? Is it via MIDI cables or is there a USB option?
I would recommend to check out the Morningstar MIDI controllers, for example the MC6 (MC6 MIDI Controller | Morningstar Engineering) or MC8. They have both standard 5-pin MIDI and USB interfaces, so you can connect it directly to your computer's USB port or a MIDI port of your interface; it also support USB power, so you don't need an extra power supply. The controllers also allow you to connect expression pedals (2 for the MC6), so you should be able to control the Wah pedal in Neural DSP with that setup.

I have an MC8, so happy to answer specific questions on that (although I have no experience with Neural DSP's plugins)

beej

The Morningstar stuff is definitely great- I have an MC6 I love. But if you only need to convert expression to MIDI, I'd go the cheapest route.

desertjay

The Morningstar stuff is definitely great- I have an MC6 I love. But if you only need to convert expression to MIDI, I'd go the cheapest route.
Absolutely, and I should have been more clear in my post: Bill, if you're looking for an expression pedal only, the controllers I mentioned will be overkill. However, something like the MC6 would also allow you to switch between presets, and toggle individual effects (like chorus, delay or reverb) on or off, so would give you full control over the plugin!

Top Bottom