• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

thumper

The most unfortunate thing has happened to my 76 stingray.I had my bass air shipped to me from Maryland and upon receiving it everything was fine no outer damage.On the inside well thats were the problem begins.I plugged my bass in and instantly i have a distorted bass.I changed the battery (in hopes it was that simple) and the same results.Well i spoke with Keith from the repair department of ernieball,(after a little investigating ive done came up with the same result a distorted bass) and we were to determin (gasp) the preamp is blown.Well the only thing we could come up with was that while in transit in the air the preamp must of had a air pocket inside the plastic coated preamp and at the right altitude the air bubble popped and broke a trace or solder joint,which would cause this problem.When i receive my new preamp i will take the old one apart and see if there is a visible trace/solderjoint broke.Caint wait to get her fixed.

Thumper

SWR_n_EB

That sucks. but i got a question, what is the biggest advantage of an old school String Ray. I know they were build allot sturdier, but how bitg a difference is this sound if the pre-amp is the same?

thumper

but how bitg a difference is this sound if the pre-amp is the same?

The preamp im receiving from ernieball is actualy a NOS 77 preamp.when i spoke with The repair dept. they informed me that they came across a box of original preamps for early stingrays last month.but the difference between the 2 are lacqured necks,and if your lucky you can come across one that is 8LBS,sound wise they have a very bright bite to them.I like both models,the old ones also have slab bodies.Other than that there really the same.

Thumper

Top Bottom